Sign in to follow this  

Searching for a exhaust baffle

It seems that my bike is too loud for the neighbors....

When I purchased my 2002 XR400 the previous owner had removed the baffle but spark arrestor is still intact. Just wonder'n if anyone had a baffle for my bike laying around. Would be glad to purchase and pay for shipping.

So Baja... Just to make sure I understand...

You are saying the spark arrestor end of my 2002 xr400 is the same as the 2001 xr250?

Only have to change the mounting hole's ?

I would send a photo but have not mastered this site's attachments!

The XR250 and XR400 spark arrestors are different. The XR400 has an outlet that's a little over 3/4", where the XR250 is only about 1/2". The XR250 baffle is extremely restrictive on a 250, and would absolutely kill an XR400. I put a XR400 chrome tip/baffle on my XR250 as a performance upgrade. I would NOT recommend going to the XR250 baffle, as it would really choke a XR400. It would choke it enough to significantly screw up the carburetor jetting.

The XR400 tip has a slightly wider bolt spacing, so I had to egg the holes out with a dremel to get it to bolt on to my 250.

That said, the 1999 and newer XR400 tips do not have removable baffles. The 'Gordon Mod' for these, is to drill three additional holes along side the tip for more flow. Is the entire chrome tip missing? I recently purchased an XR400, and the previous owner removed the chrome tip and completely sawed everything away, to where the only thing left was the chrome and about a 2" opening. WAY too loud. Maybe the previous owner of your bike has done something similar???

The XR250 baffle IS removable, but it's obnoxiously loud when you take it out.

Keep checking Ebay for XR400 mufflers and tips. That's where I got a replacement for mine. Either that, or shell out $300 for an aftermarket FMF Q4 muffler. Those are quiet, and are supposed to sound really good. Search Ebay for xr400 q4.

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike

Thanks n2omike... It did not seam logical that the 250 wuld have the same baffle as the 400. Really did not want to use an aftermarket pipe as the stock system's I have heard are quiet.

If I could see a photo of one I could have my muffler shop budy build one if necessary. However there must be some around....

PM me if you are still looking for a stock exhaust baffle for the XR400. I have a couple of these, part # KCY A2 that I would be willing to part with. One is unaltered, stock. The other some previous owner opened up the exhaust some by removing the 3/4" diameter tube, enlarged the plate at spark arrestor and welding in a 1" diameter tube. This seems practical, but they also drilled I have never installed this modified part as there is a 3/8" diameter hole in in each of the spark arrestor cap plates. I would think that the hole into the spark arrestor would have to be welded shut as that would allow sparks to pass, defeating the spark arrestor function?

Thanks "thosforce" for all your assistance... You are a great addition to the TT forums ! ! !