Sign in to follow this  

What dual sport to buy?

Ok guy's what the dual sport for me?I'm replacing my old DR 350 for something a little more modern with electric start,as for riding style I would say about 75 percent off road and 25 percent on road.For cash I have around $3500 to play with so it will be preowned.I would like the lightest bike i can get so I think I got it down to the XR 600 and the DRZ 400 s,mod's will be done to anything I get.

Thanks for your input

Both choices are good, the DR400 will be a upgrade from the 350 but it also has not changed in a long time - it really needs to be redone by Suzuki. The XR600 being aired cooled is so simple and will require only oil/air filter changes with infrequent valve checks to keep it running over the long haul. What type of riding is the 75% offroad? If it is more open stuff the XR is a better choice, if you are hitting muddy PA style single track or ATV trails the DR will probably be the better choice.

Find some for sale and buy based on condition and cost, really cant go wrong with either one.

Not much open riding around here,single trails,mud,hills,creek crossing and hills.Whats the weight differance between the two?

Claimed dry weight on the XR600 is 272, DR is listed at 317 weight. XR holds about 3 gallons of gas and the dry weight probably does not include oil, seems like they are close when all is said and done.

Ok guy's what the dual sport for me?I'm replacing my old DR 350 for something a little more modern with electric start,as for riding style I would say about 75 percent off road and 25 percent on road.For cash I have around $3500 to play with so it will be preowned.I would like the lightest bike i can get so I think I got it down to the XR 600 and the DRZ 400 s,mod's will be done to anything I get.

Thanks for your input

you should be looking at ktm or beta's, both can be had for that price range, the 07 ktm dualsport was the last year for that engine, in 08 they went to the newer engine

KTM's are hard to find street legal in PA and when one does pop up it's outta my price range and also reading up the oil would need to be changed ever 3 rides.Whats a beta?

beta use the ktm engine from 07, longer service intervals from the ktm's made in 08 and newer

Hummmm…. I owned an XR600 for a few years and tried to use it as a general play/trail bike. Man that bike had a lot of power. Too much power for a trail bike. The 600 was wonderful here in CA on the desert and in open area, but get it on the trail and it was just too much bike. Swapped the 600 out for an XR400. The XR 400 was a much nicer play/trail bike!!!! I liked the 400cc 4 stroke so much I swapped the XR400 for a DRZ400S and still own the DRZ today. Plan on keeping the DRZ as long as I can keep it running.

I found and have down payment on a 03 DRZ 400 s with 4400 miles for $2700 thanks for your help guy's