Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 2010 fuel in motor oil

Before you guys burn me, did search on topic above but found no recent posts and only 2009 issues. This is a 2010 if that makes a difference..

Dealership tested my injector, was OK. After injector assembly this morning i went riding, 1,5 hrs motocross track racing. Pulled dipstick out and oil was just short of pouring out.

At least 100-120cc more than i put in this morning came out.

It's definately fuel, smells like it and oil is very thin cold (almost freezing in garage)

Did piston change about 25 hrs ago, transmission oil level ok so no transfering there. I read a post from a guy with same issue who got a new injector but problem was not solved. Could this be worn piston rings causing blowby, vent hose is always full. ECU programming is unchanged since last 2 jrs.

Anyone who's got a solution to this?

my friend got an 2009 crf450r his pours fuel in it, everytime he checks oil it pours out, he just keeps it changed, nothing never blew up on him yett,I just bought a 2012 crf450r when I get riding i'll see if they ever fixed the problem, but he never had an problems on his yett just removes the check bolt every so often and goes again lol

How does it run? i havent messed with a fuel injected dirtbike, but can you adjust the pulse width meaning how long the injector is open, could it be just staying open to long?

I had the same problem in my 09.. I don't know what your temperature is outside when you are riding , but I know that if you try to kick your bike over a lot when it's cold it will shoot fuel in every kick.. Which will fill up your case with fuel that is seeping around the rings.. I just made sure my bike was warm before starting it, and let it warm up good before working it hard.. Don't know if this helps you out , but hope you figure it out..

Have the same problem on a stock 09. But it's not that bad that i actually can notice any difference in the oil level. But it sure smells gas. I only have this problem in really cold weather, like last weekend when it was -5celsius (20F) outside.

But it sounds like your problem is worse than mine. Check the spark plug and see if it runs rich. And maybe there is some problem with the IAT sensor that is located in the airbox. This sensor (IAT) resistance changes in response to the intake air temperature. If the sensor is faulty it can lead to a Air-to-Fuel Ratio that is very rich on fuel.

Does the engine reach the right temperature? If it's constantly cold the F.I will try to reach a higher temperature and will start to add more fuel to the Air-to-Fuel Ratio, this could, in your case, also be a problem.

Strange thing is, bike runs and starts very good, was not aware of problem till i did a (in between changes) oil level check.

Should expect differently when excessive fuel gets injected, assuming this is the problem.

Let the bike sit overnight without oil and pulled the drainplug: no fuel. Wait, while writing this i realize i maybe have to kickstart it to get it out! Gonna try this right away when i get home from work.

Anyway, i ordered a new injector too see if it solves anything. If not i get the money back from my dealer.

Will have to swap IAT and ECT sensors then i guess, but maybe first try reflashing ECU module.

Will let you know how this ends.

Thank you all for your input! Keep it coming.

Be sure to flush your tank and replace the fuel filter.

I guess you mean as a precaution to potential other fuel related problems rather than getting too much fuel injected?

Yeah, that sounds smart to replace the ECT sensor too as it could also play a role in this problem if the sensor is faulty. You said REflashing the ECU, so someone has done something with it? Are you sure that the work is 100% correct? It's pretty easy to mess things up.

Let's just hope that it's a damaged injector, let us know if the swap with the new one fixed it!

I guess you mean as a precaution to potential other fuel related problems rather than getting too much fuel injected?

His comment was related to the injector being fouled and leaking. So clean the tank and change the filter so that you dont end up fouling the new injector too.

Id think the plug would have to be solid black and the exhaust pipe would be black and sooty too if it was pumping enough fuel to fill the bottom end with gas.

Im curious how much fuel would be continued to push past a fouled injector when the bike was off. How much is in the line from the pump to the injector nozzle?

How many times do you have to kick it to get it fired up? Actually in 20F, that much fuel might be helping to get it started easy. Checking the AIT and the ECT sensors are good ideas though.

Always thought i was safe 'fuelfilterwise' taking care when filling the gas tank. NOT SO!

After reading previous posts i took out the fuel filter and it is not only dirty, but has a large buildup of some sort of goo INSIDE the filter.

i can't barely squeeze filter, so full with this stuff of wich i don't know what it is.

So i guess my freshly cleaned injector instantly has gotten clogged again after first start and has been leaking since.

Thus i guess you guys saved my new injector wich i still have to build in end this week.

Or should it be save to clean injector again?

Also checked sparkplug, wich was not pitch black but much darker than usual, and exhaust, wich was definately black.

Thanks again for your comments!

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

Edited by frankdecrosser

Can i expect the bigend to be safe after riding with thinned oil if it runs ok?

i know debris in oil fiter means havoc. Don't want bike to blow up on me on high speed or jump.

Youve got a pretty significant problem with the source of your gasoline. Id rinse the inside of that tank thoroughly and probably try to clear and clean the pump too. Put 12V to it and pump clean gas through it etc.

But thats the source of your problem for sure. I dont think you hurt the engine. Just change the oil a couple times after you get this pump thing fixed. All should go back to normal.

Make sure you filter your gas, it all has crap in it and the Honda filter is small. I did the same dance as you are doing now with my sons 450, hot or cold it didn't matter. I would check the oil and it would come flowing out, changing the injector fixed it.

Make sure you filter your gas, it all has crap in it and the Honda filter is small. I did the same dance as you are doing now with my sons 450, hot or cold it didn't matter. I would check the oil and it would come flowing out, changing the injector fixed it.

So no bigend or other thinned oil related problems afterwards?

Regarding that fuel filter, talked to my dealer on the phone today telling him that there was some kind of undefinable stuff inside the filter, and he said there is also filter material inside the meshed filter shape. i thought the filter existed of nothing more than fine filter mesh? Going to replace the fuel filter too, so when it get the new one i will take a closer look.

Edited by frankdecrosser

Going to put in a new one anyway so I have just cut my old fuel filter open to see what's inside.

The undefinable stuff inside the mesh shape actually exists of a few layers of filter paper like my dealer said. (#$#@ I thought I had found the problem)

So now i still have to wait and see if a new injector solves the issue.

DSC02963.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

Edited by frankdecrosser

i would ask HOW your dealer is "checking" your injector.. i own an injector service company. Our machine costs about $8,000 and isn't something many dealerships (none i know of..) have. They typically outsource to a company like us, or just sell you a new injector.

ETHANOL is what is causing many problems. If your machine sits for more than a couple months your asking for trouble on any FI machine (dirt bike, roadrace, jetski,boat, lawnmower, whatever). We see it ALL the time. Guy rebuilds a motor over the winter, injectors and fuel pump are junk when he goes to start it in the spring. Marine is the biggest issue as folks don't take the boat or ski out but a few times a year in some cases. Ethanol is HORRIBLE stuff when it begins to break down, turns to a taffylike syrup that will NOT just "clear out" if you get the injectors firing again.

We charge $19 per injector+12 shipping, and honestly on 1 injector we are loosing money when you figure our time to service it. We can service 8 at a time in about the same time as it takes to do 1 (i have had some guys bitch about $12 shipping that is why i say this). But we HAVE saved guys some money on getting KTM and CRF injectors going again. These seem to be the worst..

gregwithasnu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't imagine my local dealer having that kind of equipment but i am going to ask him when i'm picking up my new injector.

Seeing that photo I would sent my injector to you but i'm from the Netherlands and i want to ride this weekend.