Sign in to follow this  

yz 250 vs yz250f

Which is the better bike for tight, rocky, and some muddy hillclimbs?, the yz250 or the yz250f. im looking at both between the yrs of 2001 to 2003. i know there would be a pretty big difference in top speed, but ive heard the 250fs only hit like 65?, ive had an xr200r at a little over 70mph. but i suspect that the 250f would have quite a bit more power than tht xr200. am i right?

You are right, the 250f will be more powerful and faster than an XR 200. But it also comes down to how it is geared. Personally, I think the 250 2t would be better in the type of riding you describe over the 250f because it will have more power and much more torque. With the proper set up, you can lug the 2t all over the place and get through, over, and around any obstacle and still be able to get up on the pipe and rip through more open areas. Suspension, tires, and gearing will be most important.

You are right, the 250f will be more powerful and faster than an XR 200. But it also comes down to how it is geared. Personally, I think the 250 2t would be better in the type of riding you describe over the 250f because it will have more power and much more torque. With the proper set up, you can lug the 2t all over the place and get through, over, and around any obstacle and still be able to get up on the pipe and rip through more open areas. Suspension, tires, and gearing will be most important.

Agreed, to add I would ask the OPs weight? If they are quite light, in many situations a 250f would work better then a 250 2t. If the OP is on the heavier side then the 250 2t becomes the more practical choice.

i am 15, 5'8 and somewhere round 140 to 150. im turning 16 in june, and teh xr200 just didnt have enough power for the tuff i wanted to do.

i am 15, 5'8 and somewhere round 140 to 150. im turning 16 in june, and teh xr200 just didnt have enough power for the tuff i wanted to do.

A 250 2t is going to be an adjustment for you, it produces about 2wice the HP of your XR. I would recommend the 250f for now. It's a good stepping stone to not only get use to a better suspended bike but a larger bike in general. The 250f will have plenty of of power and enough speed for your liking.

one more question, how is the reliabilty on a yz250f. i would pobably get between an 01-03. im just using it for trail riding, no racing

one more question, how is the reliabilty on a yz250f. i would pobably get between an 01-03. im just using it for trail riding, no racing

I couldnt say, mind you i can on the 2 smoker,They are one of the best bikes on the planet. They take a bit of time to learn to ride but as soon as you work it out u will love the fun side..........Give it the respect it deserves and ssetting her right to suit you is critical .

Regards dazza

Well 4t have their problems though a lot of them are a result of poor maintainence. The Yamahas in general are known for their reliability. A 01-03 is going to be reliable in general. Remember though that your looking at a 10yr old bike. Other things should be looked over before you purchase such as all bearings, suspension components as well as the engine. Hr meters are great but they dont tell you how hard it was ridden or how much it was maintained.

IMO the most basic rule I use when buying a bike is if it looks in good shape, in most cases it is. When you look at a bike that has a mangled subframe, broken plastic, dented pipe etc etc and looks to have had a hard life, it usually has. Now this isnt the case all the time, its just my general rule.