Sign in to follow this  

yz250 crank not centered

This is not the first crank I've done and I use all the proper tools.Has anyone had the same problem.The crank is not cenered and sits a little closer to the clutch side.I used a hot rod crank and I wish I noticed this before I assembled the entire bottom end.Should I leave it alone or tear it back down?

many cranks iv replaces werent perfectly centered and were fine. raced hard and all. i believe the rod floats and along with floating on the con rod it makes no difference.

As long as its not rubbing on the sides of the case you should be fine. There is room on the wrist pin for the piston to slide side to side a bit so it can line up with the cylinder even if the crank is not completely centered

The crank is clamped and fixed to the clutch side bearing. The distance to the case is fixed. On the stator side it basicly ends up where it ends up.

When I put the WR trans in my bike I noticed this when reinstalling the crank. I pushed the crank over so the crank was centered and had same gap on each side between the crank half and case half. Think it was like .032" or something like that. I think the manual even shows this from what I remember.

I saw no mention of this in either manual I was using and hope I don't have to split cases again.Sounds like I should be good.

If anyone else has an opinion on this it would help my confidence.Clutch side has .020 and the stator side has .040 between the crank and case.