Started the tear down..

Looks good man. How many hours are on the engine? It might be smart to change the piston and rings while you have it apart as a preventative maint. kind of thing. Pour some gas down the runners and see if ou have any leakage especially around that middle intake valve.

Keep us posted and keep the pics coming

Edited by Swede73

not sure on the hours i bought it not running as a project for $300. wouldnt start thats why it was cheap and i found an intae valve was real tight so i shimmed and put a new cam chain and thats when i found the teeth on crank. so your saying pour some gas down where the shims are? its an 02 in case anyones wondering. im gonna put an 03 hot rod crank and 03 flywheel, can i use oem bearings or should i use hot rod? i ask because oem is about $30 cheaper. ill keep pics coming, working on getting the wrist pin out got both clip off but it wont slide out not sure why.

well i could just get 03 oem right? also any tricks to getting this wrist pin out? i guess maybe theres some burrs or something but i dont want to force it too much unless thats the only way to get it out

Yes, you could just get 03 oem. To get the wrist pin out, remove the circlips and tap the pin out with a small screw driver. It should slide right out. I would replace the wrist pin, along with the piston and rings when you do the crank.

yea i figured that out thanks, i think im gonna use an impact wrench to get the gears and clutch bolts off, usually itll spin them off before they have time to spin the crank.haha. What about these teeth on the crank? i would just assume that if they have chips, there just gonna continue to chi and possible damage something else. Unless there not that bad im not sure never dealt with a bad crank gear.

yea i figured that out thanks, i think im gonna use an impact wrench to get the gears and clutch bolts off, usually itll spin them off before they have time to spin the crank.haha. What about these teeth on the crank? i would just assume that if they have chips, there just gonna continue to chi and possible damage something else. Unless there not that bad im not sure never dealt with a bad crank gear.

The impact works great for removing the gears, but be sure to torque them down when reinstalling everything.