sticky clutch (kx 85)

hi all :bonk:

i have an 04 kx 85,

its having this problem where the clutch wont engage free roll when the bike is not started

if i start the bike (i let it heat up for about 10 mins) put the bike in first with the clutch pulled in the bike either stalls or the the bike jumps a little and the clutch frees up

the clutch works perfectly when im riding

i am using 10w-40 motor oil like it says in the manual

anyone have any ideas, its anoying having to run with the bike to set off all the time ?

thanks for the help

its normal for most bikes to not be able to move with the clutch in while not running. Alot of bikes will jump a little while first riding because its cold and sticky as long as its not lurching while hot its fine. If the problem is getting worse then your basket fingers are getting notched and your plates are hanging up. Another thing you can try is running atf or honda gear oil they both work really well.

The basket I've shown you can see where it was filed once then grooved again, it is now scrap.

If it becomes an issue I'd invest in an aftermarket basket. With the motors I now run the extra power accelerated the issue, I now have a Moose basket in my #1 motor. Kid says clutch feel is night and day difference.

Go to the FAQ section at top of 2 stroke section and click on Clutch & KIPS check. Scroll down through there and you'll see some very important info.

Then look at clutch basket change. Good stuff there too. That particular basket was on an 06 100 but the basics are the same. On the 100, you'll still retain the spring washer. Be careful what you cut/grind/drill.

Edited by SAPPERS

The basket I've shown you can see where it was filed once then grooved again, it is now scrap.

If it becomes an issue I'd invest in an aftermarket basket. With the motors I now run the extra power accelerated the issue, I now have a Moose basket in my #1 motor. Kid says clutch feel is night and day difference.

Those dont look like file marks to me unless they did a crap job. Normally if its been filed you will see evidence of it down were the corner is.....