Sign in to follow this  

125 or 250 2 stroke?

I've been looking around at 250 2 strokes but wanted to make sure that I'd be able to handle a 250 fine.

I'm 23, 6'1" ~165lbs. My first bike was a '81 Suzuki RM 80 and my last bike was a Suzuki RM 100. I haven't ridden in about 6-7 years, once I turned 16 I started putting money into my cars and lost a little interest then once I went to college there was no money or time to look at getting a bike.

Now that I've graduated college, I've got the money to get back into the sport. I'm looking to buy a bike in the next month or so and I'll probably ride about once a month. Looking at ~96-2002 2 strokes for $1000-1500. Worried that if I get a 125 I'll get bored and want to buy a new bike in a few months. But at the same time 250's look like they'd be a handful.

Any thoughts? Also if anyone has any brands/years to stay away from let me know. I'm looking at all brands and just trying to find the best deal, preferably one that has had the top end rebuilt recently and the previous owner can prove it.

I'll mostly just be riding around not doing anything fancy with it initially. Don't plan on racing, but I may look at trail riding in the future once I feel confident on the bike.

Edited by KissMyWhtSS

I would go with the 250. With a little experience, and your age you will pick it back up just fine.

CoKTM

I agree, I think a 250 will be fine. Since your past experience is on 2 strokes, it shouldn't take much time at all for you to get the feel back.

Edited by KcDavis

i'm with the others on this one, go for a 250, personaly i'd be looking at a 97-00 YZ250, or an RM250, pretty much all 250 two strokes are reliable.

i'm with the others on this one, go for a 250, personaly i'd be looking at a 97-00 YZ250, or an RM250, pretty much all 250 two strokes are reliable.

I'm definitely not ruling out any brands (unless I should, lol) and looking for the best deal. Looking for around a 99-03 that's clean and relatively stock for ~$1500.

I looked at a 99 Suzuki RM 250 with Pro Wheel wheels, FMF Exhaust, Pro Tapper bars, etc. It seemed like it ran pretty good but the guy was firm at $1500 and I'd rather find a 01-02 for that price that's stock. It had racing graphics with the previous owner's last name on them and looked like it had been ridden pretty hard but at the same time I think the guy took pretty good care of it. It had a new top end and the shocks felt solid like the suspension had been rebuilt at some point.

You should be able to find an 02 or 03 YZ250 for around $1500. They have the same motor as the brand new ones, and most of the same plastics..minus front fender and number plate. Its probably the most up to date older 250 you can get for your price range. And the YZ is arguably the best of all the 250's in the last 10 years or so.