Sign in to follow this  

California Stonyford - Best way to get there?

Howdy,

We mainly ride CC Camp and tip toe into Stony via Trail 45. But now the gang wants to do a full day of Stonyford.

Is it possilbe to drive the truck there via the same road that goes to Penny Pines or do I need to go out to HWY 20 to HWY5 and snake into the park via the town of Stonyford?

Keep in mind we are coming from Middletown as a starting point.

Of course we don't want to drive 3.5hrs. just to end up on the wrong side of the park either.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by ASternad

You are really close from Middle Town. Just go out 53, hit 20 turn right. Left on Bear Valley Rd. This will be rite before the highway 16 turn off. Bear Valley road is a gravel road so don't worry its the correct one. This road will eventually turn into Leesville Lodoga rd. This road is paved. Turn left on Lodoga Stonyford rd. Then go about 1-2 miles and turn Left at Goat Mountain rd. This will bring you into Digger Pine ( little Stoney) camp ground and staging area. This is the closest place to stage. If you want to go all the way into Stonyford just stay on Lodoga Stonyford rd and you will see the signs. This other way will probably add another 30-45 min. to the drive. You should definitely bring a trail map. I live in Santa Rosa and I can get their in about 2:30hrs-2:45min. From Middle Town you should do it in under 2 hrs. or pretty close. Google map it to see the route. Hope this helps.

Thanks - Kenhawg,

I've been on the gravel road before and remember it taking forever, it's been a good 6 years since I did that way.

How's that road now, still full of pot holes?

I haven't been on the road this year, but the last couple of years it's been in good shape. It's definitely the fastest way to get there from upper lake area.