Sign in to follow this  

xr400 indicators staying on

Heres whats been happening.

When the weather is cooler the indicators work as per normal.

But however when the weather gets hotter the indicators decide they wont work.

What will happen is if i indicate to turn left the front left will stay on and the rear wont light up at all, and vice versa.

I have taken the front switch apart and given it a good clean with contact cleaner and it hasn't made any difference, all the bulbs are fine, so any other ideas??

Perplexing sort of a problem. Are all the bulbs exactly the same wattage??,.Know you say they're good but I need confirmation of all the wattages being the same. Old flasher units need every bulb the same wattage to work correctly,,new electronic ones don't care about wattage. You can get electronic 12 volters from SuperCheapAuto if you need one. I have no idea what the heat would have to do with anything,,What sort of difference in temperature are you talking,,20C they work and 35C they don't???..I can only think there may be something wrong with the flasher unit itself..Maybe that extra heat and the heat from the engines somehow affecting it. Where's it located on the 400??,,Maybe try shifting it if it's up under the gas tank or near the motor and see if the behaviour changes,,best I can suggest.

Are you a flightless bird working out in an Iron ore mine??,,Name sort of suggests maybe mining.

Edited by Horri

Do your blinkers flash (ON ONE SIDE OFCOURSE) front rear front rear.......?

Or does the front & rear both flash together at the same time (AGAIN ON ONE SIDE AT A TIME OFCOURSE)?

I recently fitted LED blinkers to my XR250R and made a wiring diagram, That may help you out?>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/850507-fitting-led-blinkers-which-flasher-can-relay/page__p__9781170__hl__wiring%20diagram__fromsearch__1#entry9781170

I replaced all the bulbs with new ones today, however all the ones i took out were the same wattage.

Anyone know where the flasher unit is located?

I've looked in the manual and can't find anything at all about it

i found the flasher relay, and i think it may be stuffed so i'm going to replace it, when they do work it does flash alternately between the front and rear though like you said mate.

And yes i do have an indicator light on the dash as well.

I have put a request on findapart for the relay but no joy as yet, i know honda will want an arm and a leg for a new one!

I read your post about the one you put in, but im an electrical pariah so i need one that plugs straight in!! haha

Should be no more than $20 at your local bike wreckers>

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-XR600-XR-600-Flasher-Can-Relay-/330622653039?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfaa5526f

Or about $50-$60 at your local honda shop, Some of the LED flasher cans will work with normal bulbs too

This is the flasher can/Relay I used>

http://cgi.ebay.com....E:X:RTQ:AU:1123

It will plug straight in and the only modification needed is fitting one scotchlock to bridge 2 wires, Literally a 5 minute job and its fixed

I could help you out with pics of mine if you like, It really is very very simple

Gives you the option to run a set of these later on also>

http://www.ebay.com....=item43a77761e5

For the price of a stock flasher you could have a set of 4 LED blinkers and an LED flasher can fitted

Curious to see what findapart comes up with?

Edited by XR250INOZ

well nothing from findapart so far.

your pics would come in handy, i got quoted $70 for a new one from my local honda dealer but i like the sound of $20 and a scotchlock much better!

As youi can see in the pic (I slid a piece of white paper behind the wiring so it is easy to follow), You simply plug in the flasher relay, Join the 2 grey wires together on the wiring harness side (you dont have to cut the grey wire like I have), You could solder them together or simply use a scotchlock as shown below, It is an easy job that really anyone who is capable of riding a motorbike could do, Im going to get a video of it running to show that it works

LEDFLASHERRELAYSCOTCHLOCK.jpg

I have ordered that same relay as you have used mate, so it should be here in a couple of days and ill keep you posted on wether it was the relay or not thats was the problem :-)

You ordered the relay from Slipstreamperformance on ebay? Just remember to put the scotchlock on to join the 2 grey wires, Basically 1 grey wire feeds the front blinkers power & the other feeds the rear blinkers, Your switch on the bars sends it left or right ofcourse, Pretty easy when you work it out but very confusing if you cant

Let me know how it works

Yeah i did order it from them, actually got new sprockets from them as well, and on saturday replaced the sprockets, chain and front and rear wheel bearings.

But it never rains but it pours as they say and when i pulled into my garage after work the shift lever snapped off, so time for a new one tomorrow

Blinkers seem to be all sorted mate.

Sprocket wise i have gone with 15 and 42 as she has been motarded and doesn't see dirt anymore, but if i can find a cheap set of wheels that could change :-)

Sweet, Must have been the stock flasher relay that was buggered?

I am going to get some rims and spokes from the following (Links Below) and lace the wheel up to the stock hubs

http://www.ebay.com.au/dsc/bcollins1107/m.html?_nkw=motard&_sacat=0&_odkw=motard&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/spoke_kits_honda_xr.asp

She'll wind out with the 15/42 sprockets!

I actually haven't had her flat out but she sits on 100ks pretty happily, but saying that i wouldn't want to ride her too far at that speed!

When i got my wheels done about 3 years ago they used the stock hubs so i pretty much need the whole wheels.