Sign in to follow this  

DR350 Cam Chain - Checking Wear/Average Life

OK so I know its a hard question to ask but how long do cam-chains normally last on these?

Mine is a '93 trail model, its done 15k miles, and not been thrashed as far as I'm aware.

Not having had an air-cooled for some time it difficult to know what is normal engine noise - it doesn't sound terminal but a bit of rustling/ticking going on, which I know they do anyway.

Is there any way to check via the tensioner if its out of adjustment??

Thanks

Steve

it is really hard to say how long they last. I can tell you how to check it though. On the cam chain tensioner, remove the bolt that holds the spring in place. then remove the two allen screws that hold the adjuster. remove the adjuster and extend the foot completely out. then reinsert the adjuster into the motor, until light pressure is felt, measure distance from adjuster to motor, if less than 1/4 inch better replace.

I just replaced the cam chain on my DR350 it is not that hard of a job. You will have to disassemble the top of the motor though.

Thanks for that. Didn't quite see what you meant until I tried it and a simpler and clearer method you couldn't get - nice one.

Take off cam chain adjuster and extend fully:

kdk_1147.jpg

Pop it back in with light pressure and see how much gap i.e. how much left on the adjuster:

kdk_1151.jpg

Erm not a lot eh. Looks like I better replace it....

- Steve