Starter Probs

When I picked up my CRF in December the electric start whirred over, but never started and occaionally when I kicked it, the kick action is firmer and it sounds as if I'm kicking with the bike in gear. Got a mechanic to look at it and he replaced the brushes and charged the battery. Started no worries with magic button now, but still occasionally when kicking it sounds as though the bike is still in gear.

Went out riding and magic button stops working once I got going so I thought maybe it was just the battery dying, still when kicking occasionally it sounds as though the bike is in gear.

Put new lithium battery (ballistyx 8 cell)and started no worries cold, but when I get going on the trails, the magic button is not so magic and back to kicking. It did work a couple of times today but 99% kicking (still with occasional whirring in gear noise)

So my question is, Has any one had or heard of this or similar issues?

I have browsed the similar topic on the stickies, but the starter issues there sound different. Just wondering if I have to buy a whole new starter or maybe just that pessed gear. I'll dive into the clutch side soon and have a look

When I picked up my CRF in December the electric start whirred over, but never started and occaionally when I kicked it, the kick action is firmer and it sounds as if I'm kicking with the bike in gear. Got a mechanic to look at it and he replaced the brushes and charged the battery. Started no worries with magic button now, but still occasionally when kicking it sounds as though the bike is still in gear.

Went out riding and magic button stops working once I got going so I thought maybe it was just the battery dying, still when kicking occasionally it sounds as though the bike is in gear.

Put new lithium battery (ballistyx 8 cell)and started no worries cold, but when I get going on the trails, the magic button is not so magic and back to kicking. It did work a couple of times today but 99% kicking (still with occasional whirring in gear noise)

So my question is, Has any one had or heard of this or similar issues?

I have browsed the similar topic on the stickies, but the starter issues there sound different. Just wondering if I have to buy a whole new starter or maybe just that pessed gear. I'll dive into the clutch side soon and have a look

- starter motor worn out

- battery weak, or poor ground

- starter clutch slipping

- pressed reduction gears slipping

- auto-decompression to tight

One of the above is your issue for every starter issue.

If you remove the plug, you can see if the starter turns, without as much resistance.

Most likely your auto decompression adjustment is too tight, and the starter is getting too much Resistance.

You can just adjust it with a screwdriver until the motor spins faster.

Check your wires that go from the starter button to the main wiring harness. A buddy of mine had this issue (except for it sounding like it was in gear) and the starter button wires had been rubbing against the frame and had worn through. They were right behind the front number plate. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers peoples,

I'm going to buy a paper manual so I can have something to hold and get dirty just so I dont stuff anything up. Hopefully its one of the above listed probs and its a relatively easy fix

Thanks again, I'll post back if I can get it sorted

- starter motor worn out

- battery weak, or poor ground

- starter clutch slipping

- pressed reduction gears slipping

- auto-decompression to tight

One of the above is your issue for every starter issue.

If you remove the plug, you can see if the starter turns, without as much resistance.

Most likely your auto decompression adjustment is too tight, and the starter is getting too much Resistance.

You can just adjust it with a screwdriver until the motor spins faster.

Cheers for your replies. How can you tell if the starter clutch is slipping? I've got the rhs cover off so I could check the pressed starter gear and that seems good according to the stickies. The auto decompression seems in spec and battery is new.

Cheers for your replies. How can you tell if the starter clutch is slipping? I've got the rhs cover off so I could check the pressed starter gear and that seems good according to the stickies. The auto decompression seems in spec and battery is new.

A whirring sound is the clutch slipping. A scraping metal sound is the pressed gears slipping.

If you put the bike in gear, clutch out , and press the starter, it will rock the bike forward if the clutch or gear are not slipping.

You wear them both out by starting in gear too often.

• Like 1

A whirring sound is the clutch slipping. A scraping metal sound is the pressed gears slipping.

If you put the bike in gear, clutch out , and press the starter, it will rock the bike forward if the clutch or gear are not slipping.

You wear them both out by starting in gear too often.

Big cheers Krannie, by that reasoning, my starter clutch is good, and no srapping metal sound. I am just going to drop more money and buy a new starter and see if that cures my probs

Big cheers Krannie, by that reasoning, my starter clutch is good, and no srapping metal sound. I am just going to drop more money and buy a new starter and see if that cures my probs

You can rebuild it for around $25.00... Might want to try that first! If you don't have any other symptoms...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there a sticky on how to rebuild a starter? My starter makes no sound whatsovever. Has power.

Starter prolly needs rebuild. If it's older than it's time. I rebuilt starter and changed the reduction gears. part # 28120-mey-671. Those are common problems . My mech also referred to a clutch pack for the starter that is the other issue.

Sorry I forgot to finishthis post off. I had new brushes put in old one and it didn't make any difference. Still wouldn't start on the trail.

I ordered the new starter, works a treat. I've had 2 rides with a fully working starter button......I can't tell you how much better I feel during and after a ride.

Crazybrother, please enlighten me on what happens when a starter clutch goes bad?

Sorry I forgot to finishthis post off. I had new brushes put in old one and it didn't make any difference. Still wouldn't start on the trail.

I ordered the new starter, works a treat. I've had 2 rides with a fully working starter button......I can't tell you how much better I feel during and after a ride.

Crazybrother, please enlighten me on what happens when a starter clutch goes bad?

If it seizes up, it can cause your kickstarter to break the the stopper plate and destroy your right side case!