Sign in to follow this  

2012 easier to start than 09?

Like the title says, is the 2012 easier to start than the 09. Ive kind of been wanting to switch brands but ive had nothing but good things to say about the honda. My 09 was a pita to start, I seriously had to kick it till i was blue,50-100 kicks. Then i see people with kawis and ktm's that start there bikes with there hands :smirk: thats the reason for the change in brand. Ive tried jets, checking my valves, all the "tricks" i read on here about starting the bike and still nothing really works.

On my '10 and now the '12 I have. I just give it a few short quick kicks like a 125 and it starts right away. Doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold. The Yamaha I had was hard to start and a real pita.

Ive only got 5 hours on my 2012 so far but i find easy to start when hot, you can even leave it in gear. Doesnt seem to like the choke when starting cold though doesnt start when cold with the choke for for 5 or 6 kicks then i turn the choke off and it starts first kick

Ive only got 5 hours on my 2012 so far but i find easy to start when hot, you can even leave it in gear. Doesnt seem to like the choke when starting cold though doesnt start when cold with the choke for for 5 or 6 kicks then i turn the choke off and it starts first kick

Like I said, it's harder to start the first hour

Wow maybe I will really consider the 2012, hows the handling? Is it really as bad as mxa makes it sound?

handling is really awesome! I love it!

As for MXA, I totally disagree with them, the bike doesn't behave at all as they said, it never do weird thing. It turn on a dime and so easy to flick where you want, you definitely see that it's the lightest efi 250 of the group when you ride one.

go for it!

I agree with the above posts. Fine tune it with the clickers and it's pretty good out of the box.

I am in about the same situation, my 2009 WAS a bitch to start only when cold, until I got a Boyesen QS3,

fixed it all and improved throttle response giving a nice EFi feel.

I plan on switching my bike by the end of the year so for now I'm good, takes 4-5 kicks when cold,

but I noticed that it helps a lot to give it 2 blips and use NO choke !!

I think I am going for Honda or Zook next year, I also love Yamaha, I owned a 08 and had no problems,

always started first kick had no worries with it.. I dislike KTM and Kawa is just too mainstream..

Ill be getting some 2012 leftover CRF or RMZ I guess

why is your bike so hard to start. I always just turn the gas on pull choke out if its 60 or below and it starts right up. I never give it gas or anything first and this is on both my bikes. For handling the 2012 is way better than my 2007.

I have no idea why its so hard to start! I love everything about it, its just the starting that kills me and im sick and tired of it starting one kick one day next day 50.

I have no idea why its so hard to start! I love everything about it, its just the starting that kills me and im sick and tired of it starting one kick one day next day 50.

get a Boyesen Quickshot 3, seriously, best $98 I've spent on my bike, nuff said.

what does the quickshot do?

let you adjust the leak jet on the fly. It make jetting a little easier but honestly you can achieve the exact same result if you get the right jet for your carb.

EFI rocks! :smirk:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXAS-2012-250-FOURSTROKE-SHOOTOUT-OUR-BRUTAL-HONES-8643.aspx

theres the test, what i like is it came in 3rd for durability, and handling you guys said it was pretty good, is it as good as the 09 or better? the rmz and kxf both got 5th and 4th for durability so im thinking there out of the question. All thats left is the ktm and honda, also if i was to get a new ktm it would be a leftover 2011 because i dont really need the electric start, plus its a real porker.

I also plan to revalve the suspension because at 5'5'' and 123 lbs stock suspension always sucks

let you adjust the leak jet on the fly. It make jetting a little easier but honestly you can achieve the exact same result if you get the right jet for your carb.

EFI rocks! :smirk:

not just that, but it also delivers the fuel the 06-09 craves for...

Honda made a big mistake on 06 going for a larger carb,

not enough fuel waas delivered, so a QS3 will fix that !!

todays MX shootouts just compare brands, but not year models..

many many test riders say they rather a 2009 than a 2010/11 250R

2009 power is just absurd, and is a well balanced bike, no stinkbug feel

i havent read a comparison of 2009 vs 2012 yet

but I would trade my 09 for the 12 if I had the chance tho,

hoping to do that later this year

Edited by Axel350

not just that, but it also delivers the fuel the 06-09 craves for...

Honda made a big mistake on 06 going for a larger carb,

not enough fuel waas delivered, so a QS3 will fix that !!

todays MX shootouts just compare brands, but not year models..

many many test riders say they rather a 2009 than a 2010/11 250R

2009 power is just absurd, and is a well balanced bike, no stinkbug feel

i havent read a comparison of 2009 vs 2012 yet

but I would trade my 09 for the 12 if I had the chance tho,

hoping to do that later this year

I have read that also, every time mxa does their shootout they say they wish that honda would have kept the old frame

Don't give too much importance in this shootout. They didn't take the time to set the bike correctly. I definetely prefer the new frame, lighter feeling and when this one is perfectly set, stable like every others bike.