Should I bother trying to convince people dirt bikes aren't red necky?

Ever since I got a CR250 people have ASSUMED I was a complete uneducated red neck. I'm not, and actually most of my riding buddies hate me because I don't do it to wheelie and go up big hills; I do it for the beauty of the machine, how it handles so incredibly well on such terrain, the beauty of the scenery, the way the bike uses certain skills you can't exercise elsewhere, etc. etc. etc. I ride slow and take it all in. I'm actually embarrassed to tell people when they ask what I do for a hobby because the way they see dirt bikes is NOT how I am...

I don't even call them "dirt bikes", I refer to them as "purpose built motorcycles for all terrain closed course competition"!

So my question is, is it even worth bothering trying to convince someone that I don't dirt bike for a red necky reason, that doesn't understand motorcycles in the first place?

Ever since I got a CR250 people have ASSUMED I was a complete uneducated red neck. I'm not, and actually most of my riding buddies hate me because I don't do it to wheelie and go up big hills; I do it for the beauty of the machine, how it handles so incredibly well on such terrain, the beauty of the scenery, the way the bike uses certain skills you can't exercise elsewhere, etc. etc. etc. I ride slow and take it all in. I'm actually embarrassed to tell people when they ask what I do for a hobby because the way they see dirt bikes is NOT how I am...

I don't even call them "dirt bikes", I refer to them as "purpose built motorcycles for all terrain closed course competition"!

So my question is, is it even worth bothering trying to convince someone that I don't dirt bike for a red necky reason, that doesn't understand motorcycles in the first place?

If they don't ride, who cares what they think. ?

While I am proud of my Southern heratlige, I do not consider myselft a redneck. But that being said, do what you enjoy, enjoy what you do, and tell anyone who doesn't like to kiss your ass. There are far more serious issues in the world to worry about other than wondering if someone thinks you are a redneck for riding an off road motorcycle (or truck, four wheeler, jeep, etc.for that matter)

• Like 2

It is definitely a red-neck type of sport, there's no getting around the stereotypes. like black people and fried chicken and all that kind of stuff. you're not gonna change millions of peoples' opinion on it so just live with it. I'm not a redneck at all, but i love me some dirtbikes! ?

I'd call them yuppie rednecks. ? But seriously, IMO people that don't ride woudn't even know the difference between a euro bike and a Jap bike.

Yep! I think it just confuses them. I had my KTM 450 EXC in the back of my truck...guy walks up, "What is that", I stated, " A KTM", he got a funny look and replied, "So is it a CR"?, "No I replied, its a KTM", the guy replied back, "Well does it run run like a YZ"? LOL! This really happened! Sometimes it's really not worth the effort.

• Like 1

My friends told me it was a redneck sport too and that only children like dirt bikes. They've also gone as far as to say that dirt bikes aren't actually motorcycles when all evidence points to the contrary. Don't let it bother you, cause they're wrong. Dirt Biking is huge in areas other than the south. California has a huge dirt bike following. Are they rednecks?

I just hate how everyone thinks dirtbikes are only for kids. Even my wife when we were dating use to laugh and joke about it until she started going. She's now in full support especially seeing that when I quit riding for a few years all I done was stay out all night and drink.

Well in my household I'm college educated along with my wife. She and I have been married for 31 years and she and I still race off road although she has given up on MX riding. We have three children age 15-21 all three race and the two youngest a really talented riders. We pull our toy hauler to race sites and love the camraderie of our racing friends. Last year we spent 27 thousand dollars on racing and travel to and from races. I find most folks are jealous of our sport and wish they had something in their family to share like our passion for racing. Soccer just ain't the same

• Like 4

My friends told me it was a redneck sport too and that only children like dirt bikes. They've also gone as far as to say that dirt bikes aren't actually motorcycles when all evidence points to the contrary. Don't let it bother you, cause they're wrong. Dirt Biking is huge in areas other than the south. California has a huge dirt bike following. Are they rednecks?

You can always spot a redneck out here. He's the one with dual smoke stack exhaust system and the rubber nut sack hanging off the rear fender.

• Like 3