New OEM cyl and wiseco piston

Yeah I figured it would be ok I just wanted to make sure. I've read that wiseco pistons need more clearance than cast, so wasn't sure if it was ok to use in a new cylinder.

I always check ring end gap.

Anyone ever seen a new OEM cylinder? Are the ports chamfered? These ones are and I'm not sure if the factory did it or if the previous owner did. Hmm?

Brandnew? What letter does it have?

They come normally in A, B, C and D sizes. Differences are small and tiny but a brandnew A cylinder I'd start with an A piston.

+1

Yamaha makes 4 pistons for that year bike each with slightly different sizes. The service manual says to purchase a piston with the same letter designation as the cylinder. I can't think of any reason not to follow this advise. Having the perfect piston to cylinder clearance will insure you get proper lubrication and not too much piston slap.

Here is an excerpt from the Yamaha manual for my 125. Assume the 250 is similar.

When you purchase a cylinder, you cannot designate

its size. Choose the piston that matches

the above chart.

Piston clearance:

Standard <Limit>

0.040~0.045 mm 0.1 mm

(0.0016~0.0018 in) (0.004 in)

Cylinder mark a Cylinder size

A

54.000~54.002 mm

(2.1260~2.1261 in)

B

54.004~54.006 mm

(2.1261~2.1262 in)

C

54.008~54.010 mm

(2.1263~2.1264 in)

D

54.012~54.014 mm

(2.1265~2.1265 in)

Piston mark a (color) Piston size

A (red)

53.957~53.960 mm

(2.1243~2.1244 in)

B (orange)

53.961~53.964 mm

(2.1244~2.1246 in)

C (green)

53.965~53.968 mm

(2.1246~2.1247 in)

D (purple)

53.969~53.972 mm

(2.1248~2.1249 in)

Cylinder mark Piston mark (color)

A A (red)

B B (orange)

C C (green)

D D (purple)

Edited by rjpjnk

+1

Yamaha makes 4 pistons for that year bike each with slightly different sizes. The service manual says to purchase a piston with the same letter designation as the cylinder. I can't think of any reason not to follow this advise. Having the perfect piston to cylinder clearance will insure you get proper lubrication and not too much piston slap.

Here is an excerpt from the Yamaha manual for my 125. Assume the 250 is similar.

You do realize the title has "Wiseco" piston right? As in, one size fits all. Although you are correct for using a cast oem piston, it doesn't do the OP any good.

To OP: I had my cylinder replated to spec and purchased a new wiseco. Rings were already gapped to Wiseco's recommendations so I just had to drop in the pison and gaskets and off I went.

You do realize the title has "Wiseco" piston right? As in, one size fits all. Although you are correct for using a cast oem piston, it doesn't do the OP any good.

To OP: I had my cylinder replated to spec and purchased a new wiseco. Rings were already gapped to Wiseco's recommendations so I just had to drop in the pison and gaskets and off I went.

Yes, I guess I should have been clearer. I'm suggesting he not use the wiseco, put it back on ebay and get the matched OEM.