Kdx 200/220

I'm looking into racing hare scrambles, and I need a different bike, I will absolutely not buy a four stroke. So the kdx 200 or 220 looks perfect. Are there any weird problems with these bikes or one that is definately not a 4t that you would recomend? thanks ahead of time for any replies!

I'm looking into racing hare scrambles, and I need a different bike, I will absolutely not buy a four stroke. So the kdx 200 or 220 looks perfect. Are there any weird problems with these bikes or one that is definately not a 4t that you would recomend? thanks ahead of time for any replies!

go with the perimeter frame 95 & newer. My son has a 95 200 . Replaced the piston & ring, cleaned the Kipps & the bike was trouble free last year

not too shabby for a 17 year old bike! It is a great trail bike, but Im not sure how competitive it would be racing harescrambles, but you could argue that Jeff Fredette didn't do too shabby on it at the ISDE

I have a 04 KTM 200 exc, I think the real big advantage for the KTM over the KDX is in the front suspension. Since the last real upgrade on the KDX was 95/96 this is not too surprising.

Kawi stopped building it in 06, so it will be used, make sure you look it over carefully before you buy

Some guys have put modern KX suspension on the KDX with great results.

you should be able to pick a real good one up for under $1000 with the way the eonomy is now. mine is in excellent shape and well taken care of (lives inside) but doubt I could get $1200 in the current market. I am very happy with mine and although I have never raced scrambles and probably never will i think in the right hands it would be a competitive bike. It would also stand out in a sea of orange at the events. I think with the propper springs and valving in the front the stock forks it would work for you.

I set up mine according to FRP suggestions and wish I had gone a size or two up on the spring rate to the 42's I am about 170lbs. going the kx125 front end route would be nice but you would have to set them up for hare scrambles as they are really harsh in the woods unless you are going really really fast.

i think it would be a great bike for scrambles as im going to ride mine in a few this spring,i rode this weekend with a couple friends,one on a xr650 and the other on a yzf 250 and neither one could keep up with me on the trails and in the sand washes...out on the open straights i stayed right with the yzf and we both got destroyed by the big 650 hahaha!!!

hope this helps your decision!!!

The only real shortcoming is the front suspension. Lots of owners swap different forks onto the KDX. I put on a DRZ 400 set and it is firm but plush.

My HS finishes improved immediately by switching to a KDX, but I am a slow C rider. Nowhere to go but up. I was always on the brake on my 450, on the KDX I am on the gas much more. You give up some power to the 250's, but you can do well if you get the setup right and find some flow in the woods.

The YZ 250 has a good motor, too, and makes a good HS race bike with a FWW and sprocket change. I have never had a KTM so I can't speak for those.

200 or 220 with modern forks will yield a bike that is competitive in HS. I prefer my KDX over my other two dirt bikes for anything remotely tight - if you do a USD conversion, take the time to set up the USD suspension right though, it will be worth it. I've done two fork conversions, and noticed the triple clamp choice is critical for handling in that you want the handlebar mounts as far forward as you can get them - it makes a huge difference in control and handling. My current KDX uses 03 YZ125 forks with 04 WR250F triples.