Sign in to follow this  

Recluse Clutch

Let me start by apologizing for not being more than shadetree mechanic, but trying!! Does anyone have any experience with this product?? And why should I spend close to 900.00 on a Core model, If the EXP model is 380.00. Im just real dumb on what the mechanical dfference is on these two . If the EX does what its suppose to do, Thats what Ill instal. Im going to start doing basically hare scrambles with my X model, but dont want to worry about stalling the bike on massive rocks or hills.

I can't help you much as far as why you would buy the expensive model, but I have the cheap one in my X model and I love it for the hare scrmables. I don't get to ride unless i'm racing, and I'm not in the best shape, so when I don't have to use the clutch through the tight stuff and on hill climbs it really is an advantage. Also, if I do tip over, no more stalling.

The CORE is a complete clutch upgrade with an EXP 2.0 device included.

On some bikes, it allows the clutch lever to adjust and feel just like stock.

I have the EXP 2.0 by itself, and it works great.

The clutch pull is stiffer, and the lever cannot be adjusted for 'position' of engagement, but it's no big deal.

I guess Im unclear as to what position of engagement is. Im assuming its basically pulling the clutch lever and putting it into gear, and revving the engine but not moving?/ So with that said, you cant do that with the Recluse? What about this left hand brake lever Ive read about? This seems like a pain in the neck to me! But if you dont have the left hand brake, Its possible that if you do accidentally stall the bike on an incline, you will roll evenwhen the bikes in gear and clutch disengaged??

You adjust your clutch lever 'position' by the slack in the cable. You know, the point where you start to feel resistance in the lever, when you pull it. You can move this 'place' by tighenting or loosening the cable perch adjuster, which moves this point closer or further from the bar.

With a EXP 2.0, the clutch lever adjustment is fully tight (and then some), to accommodate the expanding EXP disc in the clutch.

This means, that 'feathering the clutch' is more difficult, unless you get an adjustable lever, like a Sunline, which allows you to move the lever position independently from the cable tension.

Now, having the EXP means you don't have to every feather the clutch again if you don't want to. It does it for you. You can keep you hand OFF THE CLUTCH LEVER at at all times, and never use it again if you want. You can put the bike in any gear, and turn the throttle and go; the clutch will slip just enough to keep from stalling, until the motor rpms are able to get high enough to fully engage the clutch. You cannot stall the motor from being in the wrong gear. You can stall the motor is your bike is poorly jetted.

The goal of the EXP is two fold: no need to use the clutch lever, and impossible to stall.

The by products of this are UNBELIEVABLE TRACTION at all times.

Worried about spinning the rear wheel on slippery ground? Shift UP, and turn the throttle. The rear wheel will NOT SPIN no matter how hard you try! It sticks like glue. No you will not go as fast using this method, but you will not stall or loose traction either.

Now, here's where the clutch lever 'position' comes into play: if you are a clutch fanning maniac, or prefer turning with the rear wheel spinning most of the time, you might no like the EXP, cause clutch fanning is not as precise, or as effective, with the EXP. You can still do it, but it is more vague, and in-consistent. But is still works. If you slip and drop the clutch to bounce of berms, it's harder to do with the EXP.

The EXP Core system has a more stock-like clutch feel than just the EXP unit by itself.

I dont have a Rekluse, but I do have a Revloc Dyna Ring. Basically the same as the Rekluse EXP. I will say it is one of the best mods I have ever added. However, since you are just a shadetree, one thing you need to make sure you have done is fix the flame out concern commonly associated with jap bike carbs. Not trying to offend you, but without knowing your mods I strongly encourage this because in a race situation, bump starting is pretty much out of the question.