Top mods for an '08

Just got a low hour '08 and want to know what are the top mods for mx. what would be the best gearing for the average track (planning on investing in ironman sprocket and o-ring chain) Also, planning on getting a new clutch basket or some sort of clutch upgrade. Is the hydraulic clutch worth the $$. Any recommendations?

14/52 gearing

revalve/respring the suspension as required

clutch- aftermarket basket, drill the stock clutch hub for extra oiling and pressure plate, new OEM springs. new clutch cable and lube it. the stock pull is very light, the hydraulic is not needed. I run the asv pro levers, and with the aftermarket basket you never need to adjust it.

other than that, ride it. If you want a pipe, MRD makes a great unit for the bike.

I like 13/49 gearing and would suggest the narrow DID520VT x-ring chain with Ironman sprockets.

The most important thing to do is spring the suspension for your weight and riding type. The forks are harsh in the mid stroke and can use a re-valve.

The stock '08 clutch is excellent. Honda hard anodized the clutch basket and hub in '08 for increased durability so there is no need to replace it unless you are notorious clutch abuser. I wouldn't jack with it until it is worn out. My original clutch is still in my '08 CRF450 and it still works flawlessly.

Edited by CamP

thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

I wouldn't be worried about the clutch, but it already seems kinda grabby on the release. Like it just isn't smooth on the release. I had a hinson basket on my '06 and it was much smoother. The guy that had it before me rode it on pavement 99% of the time, so I'm thinking that the added traction of pavement might have made the clutch notch out prematurely.

I had almost forgot about the MRD pipe, thanks for the reminder......might get one of those too. I checked the valve clearance last night because it had a little rattle at idle. Of course one of the intakes needs to be shimmed, only had .003 clearance, but i've got several shim sizes left, so maybe they'll last awhile longer. The rattle I was hearing was actually the cam chain, it was sttrreecchheedd out! The adjuster was all the way out and it was still loose. I released the adjuster all the way and was able to take the chain off the cam sprocket. Is this normal? I think I'm gonna start a new thread on this topic.

Haha, I just noticed, three replies, three different opinions on gearing.......that figures.

A 12T front sprocket will accelerate chain and rub block wear. A 52T rear sprocket will accelerate rear chain guide wear. 13/49 gearing is the sweet spot for motocross because it allows you to stay in 3rd gear longer, without the premature wear issues related to oddball gearing.

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1

52 doesnt wear the rear guides.

Yes, adding 4 teeth to the rear sprocket does accelerate the chain guide block wear on a CRF450. Been there, done that. Even the oversize TM Designworks chain guides aren't designed to accept more than 3 extra teeth over the stock 48T.

14/52 is what a lot of int/pro riders run. Team honda has run that gear outdoors for a while. It changes the power delivery more than just the numbers indicate. .

That ship has sailed. Virtually nobody in the pro pits is running that gearing anymore.

Edited by CamP

suspension for sure. gearing is dependent on lots of things, mainly your speed on the track. A rider turning 10 second per lap faster can run smaller rear sprockets. I don't think there is a "perfect" gearing for everyone, there is a "near perfect" gearing for each rider at a particular track and conditions. Some tracks will be better with faster speeds in each gear, others may need "tree stump" pulling gears if it's real tight.