MX vs ATV who and why?

Give me your thoughts first, lets talk about certain atvs vs some mx bikes, also i am in the market for a larger sport quad (that can keep up with a KTM xc200 and smash on a yamaha TTR230 in the trails. we have a backyard MX vs ATV going. Im looking for a dependable, quick, and managable bike that i can man handle. i am 5'11 and 240 im a big boy so keep that in mind, ive been riding since i was 7 so i am not a beginner but im not the greatest. My price range is under 3500$ i am looking at raptors for their power to weight ratios. Tell me your thoughts, im open to any type of bike. also tell me some stories about your riding expierences with MX bikes Vs. sport quads.

Thanks.

With your size and price range, i agree with you, raptor may be the way to go. I'd also look at the polaris outlaw 525. It's got a great motor, IRS, and will easily keep up with the TTR and xc200.

my cr85 when i had one was equal in a race against my friends 2010 kfx450r...... its gonna be hard to keep up with that 200, the ttr you will whipe out no problem, id say not a raptor but go with there yzf450, thats the best power to weight ratio and is faster than the raptor, its basically there race quad that you would race on a track, you could take turns faster on it than a raptor and its in your price range used, just saw a 07 for 3500 on craigslist just for reference for you

yeah, its going to be a challenge, hes a really good trail rider, my other friend with the TTR isnt even that much of a threat. and i was looking at the earlier YFZ's but i have never been on one before, where as im pretty familiar with a raptor, ill look into more 450's though.

The older Yamaha YFZ450's had some type of oiling problem, and are smallish quads. The older Raptors had tranny issues and weak starter clutches. Could get a Z400 but then you will be upgrading it and still not able to keep up but is durable and has reverse, with your price range you might be able to find one used with suspension and engine big bore but even then it might be slow. I don't know much about the newer 450's but most do not have reverse. (which is nice on trails) The Predator 500's were pretty good quads from when I was riding alot but don't know anything about them.

Local to me craigs has a KFX700 for $2700, modified '07 YFZ450 $2500, '03 modified Predator 500 with suspension $2700, Z400's for $2-2700.

400ex will do it. the thing is if you have enough skill you can beat any bike on any quad, best way to find out is by testing quads till you find the one for you

Banshee. Cheap, easy to work on and too many mods to count available for it. Can have an insane power to weight ratio. Or you could go with a Quadzilla 500. Little bit older, and faster STOCK than a Raptor (with the right rider.....)

Edited by DirtRider500R

if you want something cheap go with the 450r. its reliable, no battery or reverse that can cause trouble. just a motor on a frame is basicly all it is. but its fast and cheap to mod.

400ex will do it. the thing is if you have enough skill you can beat any bike on any quad, best way to find out is by testing quads till you find the one for you

im gonna go with derek on this one, the 400ex is a great bike for a mid to low price range, and i can beat my friend that has a raptor 700r (by skill not speed) oh and it will never leave you stranded