Sign in to follow this  

AFX FX-39 Dual Sport helmet any good?

Considering buying this helmet, ive been riding with a 1980's shoei MX style helmet, and at times would really like a visor to protect from the wind while doing 60+mph, or just the cold.

I do street and off road, off road fire roads and some trail riding (nothing fast) and do lots of street riding, mostly 50 -65mph, some freeway, sometimes at speeds of 75mph.

Will this helmet be a good fit? also looked at the FLY TREKKER helmet, a bit more pricy but people say they are the same thing.

If anyone has any experience with this helmet, id like to know what you think of it.

Revzilla has it for $99 bucks, that seem like a good deal?

Also i just measured my head (first time buying a helmet on the internet) and got about 22inches, that is a small, should i go MEDIUM just to be sure, do these helmets run true to size.

thanks.

Ron

I am in the same boat you are, I want one also. I wear a Shoei dirt bike helmet now, and like it, but I would like something for our adventure rides. I just tryed on a Fly Trekker yesterday and I do like it. Its not a Shoei by any means, but I liked the way it fits. They do offer tinted lenses for them and are suppost to be able to fit googles under the shield. I wont to try and find a AFX and try it on. Our KTM dealer sells them I think.

the Fly Trekker was on "sale" for $125.00.

I would also like some input if anybody has any ?

I just tried my new fly trekker out today. works awesome. Very comfortable.

I have the AFX FX-39 and what a diffrence from my Moto helmet...I can be going 70mph turn my head with very little wind drag,also very quiet inside and warm. On cold days I will use a pull over Balaclava inside the helmet. I found out the AFX helmets run a little big, I normaly wear XL in Bell etc and they fit fine,but the AFX seems just a little loose. They say the FLY helmet shape is more like a Bell helmet . I added a little foam behind the cheek pad problem solved.

They are the same helmet, just a few marketed differences. Vents and mouthpiece on Afx are black no matter the color of the hemet, Fly vents and mouthpiece match the helmet color. Afx have a quick release buckle, the Fly uses the standard D-rings.

I would order the size according to their chart! My belief is that most people think a properly fitted helmet is to tight. When I had a arai rep fit me, it was snugger than I had ever run before. Not headache tight but had zero wiggle when on. Since, I have noticed just about everyone of my riding partners helmets fit on the loose side.

Edited by aDayintheDirt

Thanks for all the info and the link mojave1, i called revzilla and asked the guy a few questions about both helmets, ended up ordering the AFX FX-39 in a size small, free shipping and no sales tax is nice!

ill snap a few pics and post up what i think about it once it gets here, they allready sent me a UPS shipping lable saying item has been shipped, same day shipping, wow.

Thanks for all the info, this will be my first brand spanking new helmet.

The AFX-39 is reputed to be better than the -37 which I boiught on closeout, and the only thing negative about the -37 is some shield distortion (fixed in the -39), and it was small for its marked size...

Ordered the helmet yesterday, and got it today, thats the fastest shipping ive ever experienced.

Helmet is nice, fits kinda tight, but im sure it will loosen up some, the ratchet system is just awesome.

Great helmet for the price....Have yet ( after 1500 miles of riding) found a bug splatter on the lense. Maybe good areodynamics.... :smirk:

Thats good to know, helmet fits me great, and goggles and sunglasses fit under the visor with ease, one question tho, when i put on my sunglasses it wants to push them up (the cheek cushions) what can i do about that?

some pics

xt75.jpg

xt74.jpg

Edited by 150ron

Mine did that too when the helmet was loose, the helmet would lift up and move my glasses off the bridge of my nose. Once I removed the cheek pads and apply about 1/4 thck hard foam and reinstalled the cheek pads the problem was gone. Like I said in the OP my helmet was a little big so it would lift at high speeds. They have thicker cheek pads,but you said your helmet was tight so I dont know if that will fix it....

Also check your chin strap make sure It tightens up good helps the lift problem,had to make some adjustments to mine so it could tighten up more.

Nice looking helmet...Good luck.. :smirk:

PS.. the helmets are tight around the temples and that is whats "seems" to be lifting the glasses when the helmet is moved up.

Edited by mojave1

Thanks for the advice jojave1, i stuck a football in there overnight, and now all is well, the glasses fit in very good, and stay in place, altho once the sun is pretty high up, the visor does a great job, and i did not need my sunglasses.

Did 110 miles today with the new helmet, fit is great, when the shield is down, it is very quiet, and air tight, there is all the vision you could need due to its large shield, visor does a great job, had it up to 75mph and no head pull, the wind seems to go right thro it,

it does pull your head when you are looking over your shoulders left or right, but nothing bad, just a tad of force on your neck muscles.

Overall, for the price, this is a great helmet, very comfortable and feels light, a HUGE upgrade over a open face mx helmet, much better, having a face shield at over 50mph is great, im very glad i bought this helmet, id do it all over again.

i highly recommend this helmet to anyone with a dual sport, that does both off road and street riding, the vents on this thing work great too.

I've got the orange camo DS39.

Love it.

More aerodynamic at highway speeds than my MX helmet is.

The visor is a must-have in snow/rain and on cold days. And it's shaped so it doesn't distort your view of the world.

Vents all over the place... with shutters on them so you can control how much venting you get.

My previous DS helmet was a Joe Rocket Hybrid... I put up with it, but for the price of the DS39/Trekker, don't even bother with the RKT hybrid.

Wow. This is awesome. I have been thinking about getting this helmet for a few weeks now and I think this made it for me. I was looking around YouTube and I saw the Revzilla video. They do a nice job marketing, but you can't rely on exactly what they say because they are just trying to make money. They will say things and fluff them up to sell more. Anyways I'm waiting for my lovely tax returns and once I get them. This helmet is mine. I wear glasses and I hope they aren't a problem like your sunglasses were. My old helmet is a hammydown from a friend. I had a oldie open face helmet (sparkly purple too) :lol:. It was my Dad's from back when and I needed a new one. Being I think 14 then I didn't have a job so I got my friends when he got his new one. Ok enough story time. So this helmet is worth it? I ride my DR350 to work and on the road never over 50. It won't go over probably 60 unless I change the sprockets because I do 95% woods riding and I sacrifice speed for power. I would love this for the woods so I don't get smacked in the nose by a branch. It could also do me well on the roads so I don't eat bugs on my way to work. They did the review on YouTube with a multi colored helmet, but on their site they only have solids? So tell me straight up..Worth the money?

EDIT: I found the multi-colored helmets on their site. They were just on another page. SWEET. Revzilla is the first site I have seen with multi-colored and solid colors separated. :bonk: Ok now to play the waiting game.

Edited by DR350S93

So wooooorth it!

Helmet is awesome, this past weekend did some freeway riding with it, it was great having a huge clear face shield with my sunglasses underneath it, then did about 35 miles of off roading, it was nice and hot out around 80 degrees, flipped the face shield up and its liek a mx helmet, the sun visor also does a great job at blocking out the sun, 5 totall vents, easy to close and open even while riding, this helmet is a steal at this price imho.

they also have camo designs, and different patterns.

sunglasses are no longer a problem, i guess the helmet just needed to mold itself to my face and adjust and what not, now they go on great and do not rise up.

So wooooorth it!

Helmet is awesome, this past weekend did some freeway riding with it, it was great having a huge clear face shield with my sunglasses underneath it, then did about 35 miles of off roading, it was nice and hot out around 80 degrees, flipped the face shield up and its liek a mx helmet, the sun visor also does a great job at blocking out the sun, 5 totall vents, easy to close and open even while riding, this helmet is a steal at this price imho.

they also have camo designs, and different patterns.

sunglasses are no longer a problem, i guess the helmet just needed to mold itself to my face and adjust and what not, now they go on great and do not rise up.

Thanks for the quick reply. One other thing. How fast was Revzilla's shipping? You said it was pretty fast, but how fast in days? Definitely getting this.

i ordered the helmet at evening time, and got it the very next day around 3 p.m., fastest shipping ive ever had, but im in cali, might be 2 days or so for you.