Sign in to follow this  

WR450F FOR CRF450R?

Hey guys,

Hope im in the right place for this. I have a 2005 wr450f in amazing shape (except back tire) that is stock except for fmf slip on exhaust, excel rims, and skid plate. I just had a leak down test done and the engine results came back with it being like new. I DO NOT have a title for the wr, as it came from West Virginia where I read that the buyer can opt out of getting the title to avoid paying additional taxes. However, the bike is a bit too heavy for my liking, and I found someone with a 2007 crf450r in amazing shape that is willing to trade. It is an older (30's) man who owns it, and is the 2nd owner. His friend had the bike before and he says there is no history of racing, just hair scrambles and such. The bike has titanium valves put in, a skidplate, bark busters, new plastics and graphics, excel front rim, stock exhaust, and from the pics looks to be in amazing overall condition except for some engine boot wear on the left side. He DOES have a title for the bike and will include a metal stand, the original plastics, and an oil change kit including the filters and such, extra chain, 2 unopened break levers, crf450x coolant tank installed, spare seat, radiator braces installed, and IMS gear shifter installed.

What I would like your opinions on, is that he is willing to drive 2 1/2 hours to me and do the trade, IF I throw in $350 cash on top of my bike. I am really considering this, but wanted to throw the deal out there for others to post their opinions. I really appreciate any advice.

thanks

First a hair scramble IS A RACE which means that bike has probably ridden hard dont let age fool you lots of old guys race woods and are fast as hell. If im not mistaken the bike comes with titanium valves, if only the front is excel that probably means he ruined the stock rim by hitting something (in a race) the gear shifter probably means he broke the original probably (in a race). This guy has random new parts which means they wernt replaced just to look pretty the Coolant tank most likely means he rode the bike hard for long peroids this guy is probabyl pretty serious about running hair scrambles, the oil filters are cheap and radiator braces are pretty standard Basically you are getting a stock bike all that extra you mentioned isnt really anything special since he broke the stock parts. except the chain if it is new and not cheap.

I would be weary, sounds like an experienced guy about to get over on you. but then again i would pay to get rid of any WR and a CRF is certainly a very good bike to trade for, there is not much weight savings maybe 10 or 15lbs but to an inexperienced rider thats not much. Just think about it, whats in it for him?? your bike is older? 350$ isnt very much cash? If his bike is clean i would see how it runs and check eevrything possible including the air filter just have a 12mm socket wrench handy to take the seat off.

YES YES YES

YES

DO IT

The Crf450r is 10X the bike that WR450 is.....especially the older steel framed pig. I would make that trade even if the Honda needed a valve job and two tires and missing a seat and a rat was living in the air box.

I'm in my 30's and not to sound cocky but i ride my bikes hard in the woods and go pretty good. I had a 08 YZ 250 that had a bent shifter shaft after one of my rides! I thought it was the shifter but it turned out to be a bent shaft. All i did was put a new shifter on with the help of a hammer! Not the smartest thing to do for sure but i figured i had nothing to lose considering i was selling the bike regardless. Ask him if he has the original shifter and front rim! The yz i purchased was from a good buddy and had both rims replaced for a reason. The reason was from a nasty crash that had him in intensive care for two weeks. My advice is ask if you can take the bike to a shop for a leak down test, if he's not hiding anything than he should have no problem with it. To be honest though the whole trade thing usually never works out equally for both parties. My advice is sell the WR and look for a really clean example of a CRF, that is close to stock as you can find. Hope this helps, good luck!