Sign in to follow this  

carb help please

so I started removing the carb but after i got the shock and all off im down to the carb witch has 3 cables going into it (2 throttle and the hotstart) how should i go about removing the hotstart? and is there a way to remove the throttle cables without loosing the adjustments?

Also there is a little rubber brick on the throttle cable cover it shot off and i am yet to find it. is this a neccesary part? I know this sounds like a stupid question because it probably is.

were would i get that rubber piece?

Edited by antleo

The hot start comes out by unscrewing the plastic nut on the carb body at the bottom of the hot start cable. Be very careful as it is plastic and will strip out. If it strips, Zip Tie makes a good billet unit that will not strip out. On the throttle, at least one of them must be loose to get both off.

It sorta helps hold the cable in postion. The cable can't really come out though but it also seals the cover against - obviously dirt, mud, etc. If it was me, I'd just make one. Go to Lowes, your local hardware store, Wally World, etc. and look for something, anything made out of rubber big enough and fairly hard / tough enough to make one out of. Use a sharp knife, cut it roughly to size and then you can use either sandpaper, course files, belt sander or a bench grinder to finish it to size. Be careful if you haven't every ground rubber on a bench grinder or belt sander before because it is sort of grabby and it can snatch it out of your pliers or fingers. Good luck. Clay

ok if i dont find the piece when i move the bike (need to put the shock back in) then ill just make one. i will probably end up using like an old chunk of tire or something.

got the carb out and the little rubber block actually ended up being sitting right under the foot of my work bench. Im happy i found it. got the carb cleaned up now i just gotta do the shock linkage then maybe the headset as it felt a bit notchy.

I have the linkage off the bike and apart i just havent had time to grease it. i was pleasantly suprised to find that the linkage and wheel bearings were well greased before and the wheel bearings still are with a nice clean red grease. I guess i got lucky with the used bike.

so I started removing the carb but after i got the shock and all off im down to the carb witch has 3 cables going into it (2 throttle and the hotstart) how should i go about removing the hotstart? and is there a way to remove the throttle cables without loosing the adjustments? Also there is a little rubber brick on the throttle cable cover it shot off and i am yet to find it. is this a neccesary part? I know this sounds like a stupid question because it probably is. were would i get that rubber piece?

The rubber piece helps keep dirt out of the throttle cable housing. You can get a small piece of rubber or foam and cut it to fit in there as well if you cant buy that piece from the dealer. I had a friend that lost that piece and thats what he did. Its still there and still keeping most of the dirt out of there.