Sign in to follow this  

YZFtank & seat onto a WRF - Is it worth it?

I have a 2004 WR250f and I'd be very interested to hear views on whether it is a worthwhile upgrade to change over the tank, seat and shrouds. I'd like the bike to feel a little smaller and more light weight and I'm wondering whether performing the tank & seat change will have any noticeable and worthwhile differences. From looking on ebay it would be a pretty expensive (£150) modification. Does anybody have the sizes of the standard YZF tank and seat so I can compare it to the standard WRF item?

I ride 3hr enduro events so fuel capacity isn't really an issue.

Thanks for the wisdom.

Mark

As far as I know, As long as you change the seat/tank/shrouds/rear fender together they should bolt on without any dramas.

They are definitely narrower and feel less top-heavy.

No, the YZF tank & seat does not fit your 04 WRF. The YZ250F tank and seat fits on the 01 & 02 WR, but not 03 and newer WR. The WR seat has a different base to allow room for the battery, and the WR seat also clips on differently.

If you want a smaller tank, look for a 05 or 06 WR tank. I think these will fit your 04, and if so, I know those tanks will be noticeably less "watermelon between the legs" feel. Not sure about the 03-06 shrouds compatibility though.

Whether this is worth it- not sure. Your bike IS going on 8 yrs old. I'd be more inclined to be looking for a newer bike. The 05-06 WR were basically the same bike with a smaller tank and trimmer/lower seat. The 07 WR feels MUCH lighter (still weighs the same, but carries it bettter).

Edited by BazookaJoe

I have a wr tank on my 03 yzf. not sure of the year compatibility but i thought the big change was in 03 for both?? I understood 03-05 yzf tank was compatible with 03-06 wr. (wr was steel frame an extra year) someone correct me if this is wrong.

I thought of going back to the yz tank because I was racing shorter races and didn't need the range.. then just decided to use less gas in the wr tank.. it feels real close to the same as the yz. a little taller in the fill area and goes lower toward the radiators and head.. its the slightest wider. doesn't get in the way of racing at all to me.

If i was racing a 3+ hour enduro at any pace I would expect to run out of gas with a yz tank. its very close after a 2 hour enduro. Good luck

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly no comments like "you must do this mod" or "the difference is incredible". It appears as though this is a relatively minor tweak (in terms of impact vs. bang for buck/pound).

As said above, the bike is pushing for 8 years old and I'm not going to get away from that fact.

Questions is, do I persevere or do I throw money at a new orange plaything (250 exc-f) and save probably a few kgs but not be any faster. As said many times, the bike will always outperform my abilities.

Cheers,

Mark

i would go for the 250exc-f it is much easier to work on and is a pretty nice bike overall from what i have herd. to go faster just practice...hahahahahahaha

Ahhh dont be in sutch a hurry to go 'orange" The 04 wr250f can be updated quite a bit, i have the 04 wr450 and i use an 07-11 headlight, yzf450 11 front mudguard yzf 03- 05 rear mud guard,wr 06 tank and shrouds (yzf 03-05 shrouds will fit this tank). The 05 06 tank and shrouds will fit straight on but you will need the 05 06 seat aswell because its a smaller tank, you will need the seat as its longer than 03 04 which has a bigger tank so shortet seat :bonk: Well worth doing as it makes the bike less wide and bulky , you will notice an instant difference the next time you compete............ :lol: hope this is helpfull

What made you think to go to exc-f?? '07 onwards WR go just as well with much better engine life. And they are getting t the price now where they are not going to depreciate much.