Sign in to follow this  

As of Yesterday, I am one of you guys! Talk to me.......

Gents:

I fired the bullet on a new 2011 FE 570 S. It is at AJAX in OKC, OK and I am going to pick it up this week. I currently am the original owner of my '04 525 EXC, so it's been awhile since I had a new steed.

I've got the dealer installing the following:

1. Berg fan kit with a switch versus the temp sensor (did this on the 525 to conrol excess battery pulls) - any issue with this on the Berg?
  2. Berg rear disc guard since I am a Colorado and Chadwick, MO rock rider, Is the Berg guard a lesser quality one compared to Bulletproof's unit?
  3. Adding the competition mapping (not the switch as I have read you guys' threads indicating why bother with a switch) since i have been on a 500 cc or bigger for the last 30 years - how do I tell if they did it?
  4. I also asked them to remove all of the pollution control. I don't really know what this means other than there is a charcoal cannister to catch fuel/hydrocarbon when the bike goes over. Is there anything I should be forewarned about given I don't know this machine like you do or is there more to this than they are telling me? I negotiated this as part of the deal so I'd prefer they did it - all is removing he cannister all there is to it?

I forgot to add bark buster style hand guards so I will add those when I get it home along with a header pipe guard, a new rear fender/LED tail light/turn signal assy.

Does the Berg need a clutch slave guard like they told me the KTM needed? Funny, I ride with 40 other guys and haven't seen one person ruin their slave in...well, ever. So is it a gimmick or should I spring for it and install it myself?

Also, I have always bought a tough aluminum skid plate - will the Berg's plastic skid plate be adequate in a rock environment given I am not jumping the bike but might be on the plate at a crawl given some of the stairs steps/rock ledges I hit?

I asked them to price out a set of spare Berg front/rear wheels and this stumped them. Are Warp 9 wheels adequate for a spare set? I have a spare set of Excel that fit my '04 525 EXC - will those fit the Berg? The front is a small axle diameter with the large axle conversion kit so it works for both styles and I have been led to believe KTM has never altered their rear - anyone know?

I am reading about this "new" battery" that is not lead acid - would that be a good investment for a bike that has no kick starter?

Sorry for all of the questions and thank you in advance for any input you can give me. If I am not asking the right questions, I'd appreciate a heads up as well!

• Like 1

I got the alloy skid plate when I bought mine. I think of it as cheap insurance.

You might consider some of the unique goodies available at System Tech Racing at http://www.systemtechracing.com/. I was real unhappy with the factory steel rear brake pedal and how close it is to the engine, and bought their anodized alloy pedal. Impressive design, and it's a LOT less likely of punching through the engine if the brake lever is smacked by a rock. I also got the Speed Bleed Fork Valves (he invented these and holds the patent - all the rest on the market are knock-offs) and the rear brake caliper radiator. An excellent outfit to do business with.

Edited by Ruger454

I got the alloy skid plate when I bought mine. I think of it as cheap insurance.

You might consider some of the unique goodies available at System Tech Racing at http://www.systemtechracing.com/. I was real unhappy with the factory steel rear brake pedal and how close it is to the engine, and bought their anodized alloy pedal. Impressive design, and it's a LOT less likely of punching through the engine if the brake lever is smacked by a rock. I also got the Speed Bleed Fork Valves (he invented these and holds the patent - all the rest on the market are knock-offs) and the rear brake caliper radiator. An excellent outfit to do business with.

Thanks for the input Ruger454!

You wont have any problems with battery pull on the new 'Berg, unless you really weigh down with extras. The fuel injection requires a good starter output, both to run the bike and always to make sure that the battery have juice to start the bike up, so stock it charges the battery already at idle. The stator puts out some 210 w, all DC so you have plenty. Personally I have 100w xenon for headlight, another 35w xenon for my helmet lamp, and the fan. Still no issues with the battery (have the rekluse too so I cant bumpstart - so faith I have in the stator!)

<-- As you can see in my avatar, I like it gnarly! Still have the stock plastic bashplate, which is good. Holds up fine, and doesnt grap blast rock like aluminium so it slides over easy. Only issue I can see but not had yet is side protection of the enginecases, but I think that is more an issue when you go fall and bike slides over some rock sticking up.

Why not get the OEM map switch? It's dirt cheap and you can really modify the behaviour of the engine if you need to. It can take the edge of the engine that day when you are tired, it's raining and it's slippery and muddy.

Your KTM wheels will fit straight on if they are for the big front axle.

I have just purchased a Shorai battery - my OEM battery is close to 3 years now and is still good. The Shorai purchase is for peace of mind during summer upcoming races, and also to shed some weight.

You wont have any problems with battery pull on the new 'Berg, unless you really weigh down with extras. The fuel injection requires a good starter output, both to run the bike and always to make sure that the battery have juice to start the bike up, so stock it charges the battery already at idle. The stator puts out some 210 w, all DC so you have plenty. Personally I have 100w xenon for headlight, another 35w xenon for my helmet lamp, and the fan. Still no issues with the battery (have the rekluse too so I cant bumpstart - so faith I have in the stator!)

<-- As you can see in my avatar, I like it gnarly! Still have the stock plastic bashplate, which is good. Holds up fine, and doesnt grap blast rock like aluminium so it slides over easy. Only issue I can see but not had yet is side protection of the enginecases, but I think that is more an issue when you go fall and bike slides over some rock sticking up.

Why not get the OEM map switch? It's dirt cheap and you can really modify the behaviour of the engine if you need to. It can take the edge of the engine that day when you are tired, it's raining and it's slippery and muddy.

Your KTM wheels will fit straight on if they are for the big front axle.

I have just purchased a Shorai battery - my OEM battery is close to 3 years now and is still good. The Shorai purchase is for peace of mind during summer upcoming races, and also to shed some weight.

Phastasbananas (great name!):

Thanks for the insight! I'll just add the switch to my list then if it isn't expensive. I'd seen some posts who weren't happy with it. I am assuming you have it or you wouldn't have commented the way you did. Never thought about the being tired aspect - another great point.

Your perspective about rocks is an interesting one. I think back now about my 525 and I have never hit the side cases, but I have hung up on top of rocks aplenty. Having the plastic certianly would allow a slide versus a "dig in" - kind of like the differences in canoes.

As far as the battery, I found out by surfing the net that the weight savings is almost three pounds. I don't know where the battery sits on the Berg, but if it is anywhere near the height of my 525, reducing three pounds would seem to have a compounded affect on the feel of the center of gravity in those times when I am leaning over accidentally.

I am 6 feet tall and I have only sat on one of these once. I weigh 225 naked - will I need to get different springs on either end to be proper for sag, etc. in your opinion?

Great input and thank you!!

Best regards,

Kirk

Congrats on the new ride. I'm a berg newbie myself, picked up a 2010 FE390 last Sept.

I weigh 190 and stiffer springs were required for my uses.

I haven't had any issues with the plastic skid either, I hit a lot less rocks and stuff with this bike than with my old KLX. Love the high ground clearance!

No worries, just trying to spread the gospel! (Im such a Husaberg fanboy).

Can't remember how much the mapswitch costs, but something like 30$. If you don't like the different settings, keep it on stock and you have an extra neat sellingpoint should you ever choose to sell it. Otherwise it's great for calming the bike down ont he soft setting, or if you are down & sad, put it on hard setting - that would get your ticker going a bit faster and put a smile on your face!

The oem is cheap, but fiddly to use with a tiny switch with marks from 0-9 which only 1,2 & 3 works. Gloves off and squiting eyes, but it is in a rubbercover so it's kinda waterproof and is out of the way. There is aftermarket switches from both 70 degree racing and TrailTech which sure makes the switching easier, but they are up on the handlebar and do not look so waterproof, and they are around 80$. All of these points are a no go for me, as my crap riding (or would that be the terrain i choose) sometimes see me flickering lights switches or having the bike upside down after crashes. I rarely change maps anyway. Remember you have to shut down the engine for the new map to load, otherwise nothing happens.

I scrapped 1 clutch cover trying to take a line a little bit to close to a huge rock during a race, but no skidplate in world would have saved that. If you want more sideprotection the Hyde cover for the new bergs seems to offer more protection and still being plastic. Thinking of getting one of those myself for the summer extreme races, or I'll keep running the stock. The pro Husaberg in Europe all keep the stock plastic with no issues. I like that only one small bolt holds it, makes for easier cleaning and oilchanges.

The battery is above and aft of the rear shock just under the saddle. It is not much place for anything else there, getting two extra flat fuses down there was about all I could fit. But it is high, so anything that can shed weight is a yes in my book.

I have changed both fork and shock springs on my to suit my weight. I'm 191 cm (maybe 6 ft +some inches) and 220 lb, so that is something for you to do. The fork was not too bad, I have ride more aggresively now to fully appreciate the fork with the new springs, so try it out and see how you like it. But the rear is more critical to get the proper sag, otherwise the bike squats to much.

I also have 20 mm bar riser which I find helpful for my riding (always stand up). OEM KTM set with 3 different plates so you can play around (5,10 20 mm).

Other mods I have done is the Rekluse Z-start pro, which I love in the gnarly stuff. Lefthand rear brake because the no enginebrake effect with the rekluse at standstill, which I really need when walking the bike down in the worst sections.

Akrapovic silencer for more weight shaving, with the dB killer attached. Makes it a bit more throaty but not loud.

T-lock for the wheels. Not sure if it is availbe over there, but it is kinda like Tubliss but with a better (but more messy) seal. Weighs less than both mousses and tubes, which aids handling and overall weight. I can also run ultralow pressures without flats. Had 0.4 bar (5.8 psi) in my rear with a Michelin comp trialstire for one competition which was in a quarry with blast rock with no issues whatsoever.

Front and rear tuggerstraps from Kriega - use them all the time.

Also bought but yet not tested is a pair of Pivot Pegz footpegs. Hopethat will help with some footfatique during those endelss Romanian downhills...

Hmmm, that became longer than I anticipated....anyway, have fun with your 'Berg!

I would not recommend the Husaberg map switch. I think it is pain to use. It works - but it is hard to use - especially if you need glasses to read small print.

I bought one and hated it, so I cut the switch off and made my own. I couldn't find a very good place to mount the switch, so I ended up buying a handlebar mount switch. In the end, I should have just purchased the 70 Degree map switch.

Another mod you should consider is to add heat reflective foil under the tank. And be sure to only use quality fuel - and add stabilizer if your bike will sit for more than a few weeks.

You will definiately need stiffer springs. Even after getting stiffer springs (I weight about 235 with gear) I was not happy with the handling in the whoops or soft sand/gravel. I ended up having Dale EO do my suspension, and now I love the way it handles everything. It changed it from "I can't handle this bike" to "this is plush and absorbs everything". Huge difference. He put a progressive rate spring on the rear and used dual rate valves.

You will definiately need stiffer springs. Even after getting stiffer springs (I weight about 235 with gear) I was not happy with the handling in the whoops or soft sand/gravel. I ended up having Dale EO do my suspension, and now I love the way it handles everything. It changed it from "I can't handle this bike" to "this is plush and absorbs everything". Huge difference. He put a progressive rate spring on the rear and used dual rate valves.

FamilyRider -

Thank you for the info. I laid awake last night worrying about the suspension - no kidding! How do I find this "Dale EO"? I Googled EO and found nothing. Is it Enzo Suspension? What kind of riding do you do and where? I ride everything from fast trail to knarly rocky hill climbing, and I keep the rubber on the ground - I was never good at jumping and I am way past that age.

Thanks for the input - I'm starting to round out my target finished product with everyone's help. This time it won't take me three years to figure it out. My 525 took me too long because I hadn't discovered forums yet and I had to depend on the local dealer which wasn't all bad, they just didn't have the wealth of knowledge this forum has. Again, thanks!

Kirk

hello! I would recommend getting the conical filter that fits just inside your tank,it will filter out any bs that will plug your injector.

hello! I would recommend getting the conical filter that fits just inside your tank,it will filter out any bs that will plug your injector.

Is this the filter that is shaped like a, well a sock, that hangs in the filler hole that filters the fuel as it is poured in?

yes exactly,cheap insurance if you ask me.

Get this, the dealer did not know what I was talking about. I had already asked for this as part of the deal. Any input on where I can order one or a suggestion on a particular part that you guys already know filters the particulate matter down to a size that is smaller than the injector orifice?

Thanks!

Kirk

Get this, the dealer did not know what I was talking about. I had already asked for this as part of the deal. Any input on where I can order one or a suggestion on a particular part that you guys already know filters the particulate matter down to a size that is smaller than the injector orifice?

Thanks!

Kirk

Slavens racing has them available, as well as quite a few other goodies for the Bergs.

http://slavensracing...oducts/husaberg

Edited by KMK

Dale EO is on the Husaberg.org board. He really is good with the WP suspension. To be honest, I just put stiffer springs in my 450 and am happy with it for now.

The KTM fan kit switch activates at 100C. As already mentioned, the 'Berg has plenty of stator output. I put a lower temp 95/90C switch on mine. Per the trail tech temp gauge I have, the water coming off the head was at 223F when the stock fan came on, now it activates at 203F. This gives a lot more margin before it gets uncomforably hot in the nasty stuff. Fan switch info here:

From NAPA, Altrom Imports part number ATM 1435033, fits BMW 355i. The stock spade clips are an exact match, it just screws right in and works like a peach.

The other deal with these and the new KTM fuel injected bikes for that matter - add a 2nd fuel filter to the line to protect your injector. The OEM one in the tank as proven again and again to be inadequate. Golan makes a spiffy aluminum one for $50 that is 10 micron and can be cleaned. It can go after the quick disconnect under the tank due to it's small size. You want the 5/16" one, link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Golan-Peak-Super-Filter-70-250G/dp/B000GTUS70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329350919&sr=8-1

I put a Can-Am quad filter on my bike in place of the quick disconnect. Price is about $15, part number 709000100. Here is a picture of mine.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/925817-efi-fuel-filters-how-many-hours-before-change-out/

Enjoy the new 570. It will be a beast!

I wanted to add a case saver is a good idea on any bike. Cheap insurance to save the cases! I added a 70 degree racing map switch and truly love it (I honestly wasn't expecting much). I prefer the "L" or low switch for trail riding as it makes the motor have more torque at lower rpm and seems to get better traction as well. Even though you have to kill the engine to change maps with a little practice you can do it on the fly. You are going to love your berg!