Sign in to follow this  

XR4 oil cooler on XR2.5. Help needed please.

I have an 04 XR250 bike and i have oil cooler and lines from a 98 XR400. I have searched past threads but still need help for the install. Seems to me that welding nuts to the frame head is the easiest method to secure the cooler. Is this correct? The biggest problem for me will be to modify the oil cooler return line to the frame. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or pics of how this is done. Thanks.

I've just done the first part of this mod to my '85 to fit an '86 cooler. MIG'd a couple of M8 nuts either side of the headstock to mount the wrap-around cooler. Also needed to MIG on a short steel tab sticking out the front of the headstock just above the steering stop. Not sure what your pipes look like, mine are both long steel ones with a short flexible hose section near the bottom where they go to the right side crankcase cover. If you have steel sections, a pipe cutter, pipe bending tool, some similar diameter copper or steel pipe, a sil-phos rod and a gas set will cope with re-shaping, shortening or extending them.

I will need to take pictures.The oil line on top of frame,I think we used a 400 oil line,cut and welded the top.because the frame boss for oil line was the wrong way.

BTR, that is just what I needed to see, thanks. I see that you modified the stock XR250 oil line from motor to tie into the new cooler. I have a stock XR400 line that bolts right up to both the motor and the oil cooler without any mods. I will just need to find someone to modify the line from cooler to frame and also to weld the cooler mounting nut to the frame. BTR, you da man.

Have a look here http://www.lt-racing.com/1986_XR250R_WP_lg.jpg I think this guy machined the top of the oil cooler and threaded it to accept the stock xr250 lines. I read on another forum that he got away with the fitment because the bottom of the aftermarket triple tree he was using for those wp forks sat a little lower.

That ole xr300 is really something