Sign in to follow this  

siezed chain adjuster bolts...

Whats the best way to go about this. I drilled a very small hole above each one to allow wd40 to get to that side of the bolt and they came free but they are super tight to turn. Would a little heat help?

And also, when they do break or strip.. whats the best fix? heli-coil?

Do everything you can to not break them- heat, penetrating oil etc.. I broke one in my sons kx 100 and i couldnt get the broke part out. I would even check with a machine shop.

I would take the wheel and everything else that can melt around it off and heat the Sheet out of it with a torch, that usually does the job. Don't use an open ended wrench, pull the adjuster block off so you can get to it with a 12mm deep socket.

x2 in heat. Get it pretty hot. If worse comes to worse drill it out. How often do you adjust your chain? haha

Edited by HappyGilmore

I had the same deal...mine broke off...my stepdad and I had to use heat...drill it out and then retap the hole...and our tap broke off twice. It was ugly!

Well, i sprayed penetrating oil on it for a few days, then tried with some heat.. one side came out, the other i was not that lucky. The head of the bolt broke off, i welded a nut on it, it broke again. I ended up welding a nut on it all the way against the swing arm and taping a socket on it, along with some heat it began to came out. I was able to just run a M8 tap through it and put new bolts in.

Not a fun deal for sure.

The first thin I do when I get a new bike is pull the adjustment bolts and put antiseize on them. Also i grease the steering bearings.