Sign in to follow this  

When I turn fuel to on position, it just keeps rolling out the drain lines?..

Hey guys, I have not rode my bike in a few weeks so I decided to go out and fire it up, but when I turn on the gas, I seem to have alot of fuel draining out those lines and it is not stopping?. And ideas? I'm riding an 02 wr250

Thanks!

Ok.. Fuel lines are connected, not to savy with carb work, the gas is coming out of those overflow lines pretty good.. How do you adjust the float?

Thanks

The float valve may be sticking, or the float itself. one or the other is the problem.

basically, here's how the float works:

As the float rises, it pushes up a pin that works as a valve and shuts off the flow of gas into the bowl. As bowl as level drops, the float drops, allowing the float valve to lower and open up. If this little float valve isn't moving freely, it can cause the problem you are having (stuck open), or cause the bowl to not get fuel (stuck closed.)

It's a simple fix, really. Gettting to it will be the worst part.

if taping it with a screw driver works, i would take the carb drain plug out as there may be something that was causing that in there.

also there might be a crack on the float causing gas to seep into float thus, making it to heavy to float. Test the float by placing in cup of water, if it sinks you know you have a problem

mine does that if i havnt ridden for a while. i make sure i never leave gas in the carb after a ride. usually it just drys out and gets stuck. its not likely that there is something physically blocking the float. carb rebuild kits are cheap. might be a good idea if you dont get it to stop.

It's funny... I just took that bike in a month ago to have the carb cleaned. I rode the bike for roughly 2 hours after that and now this.. I appreciate the all the help guys. Looks like I'll be taking it in again to have them look at it. I wish I was knowledgable when it came to carb work, but I m not. Looks like I will be trying to educate myself on this topic.

Cheers!

If you leave fuel in the carb, it can get gummed up surprisingly quick. Especially if you have crap (ethanol) in your fuel! Best practice is to just shut off the fuel and drain the bowl after you ride. It's quick and easy, just turn the main fuel valve off, and then right at the bottom of the bowl, on the left side of the carb, there will be a small screw to undo. After a turn or two, fuel should start coming out of the drain line that is connected to the bottom of the bowl.

Cleaning the carb is easy, you should be able to find info on how to do it on here... In fact I just wrote an overview on it in a thread a few days ago, it should be on this or the next page. I think I might just make a video next time I get the chance.

It's funny... I just took that bike in a month ago to have the carb cleaned. I rode the bike for roughly 2 hours after that and now this.. I appreciate the all the help guys. Looks like I'll be taking it in again to have them look at it. I wish I was knowledgable when it came to carb work, but I m not. Looks like I will be trying to educate myself on this topic.

Cheers!

Do you know how to turn a screwdriver? If you do then you can work on your carb. Take the float bowl off and you'll see the float hanging in there and it pivots on a pin. Slide the pin out and the needle and float come off. The manual shows you exactly how to do it. If you get lost then post a pic and the question and we can help you out. You can even work on the float without taking the carb off the bike but it is harder that way. When you do take the screws out of the float bowl replace them with Allen head fasteners.

I bet his fuel inlet valve fell off the float tang and down into the bowl...I took my carb off over the weekend to teach myself how everything works and as soon as I took the bowl off the float pin and fuel inlet needle fell right into the bowl...lol I mean there isn't really anything holding it in there too well it just wraps around the tang and that's about it. Also check to make sure your bowl gasket is in okay condition.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Its the pin valve. Super easy fix. take off the float bowl. The pin valve pretty much falls out, its held in with a clip. This pin valve is a small part. Maybe a half of an inch long. Over time the rubber in its tip is eaten away by gasoline. I'm positive this is the issue. Replace it for i think $15

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Its the pin valve. Super easy fix. take off the float bowl. The pin valve pretty much falls out, its held in with a clip. This pin valve is a small part. Maybe a half of an inch long. Over time the rubber in its tip is eaten away by gasoline. I'm positive this is the issue. Replace it for i think $15

Yep exactly aka (Fuel inlet needle) Please tell me tho, I have a cr250 with keihin carb but yours has a clip? Mine has a little wire metal circle around the top and that literally just wraps around the float tang and that's it lol

And to the original poster, this thread right here is the best one I've ever found about setting your float height and more importantly, doing all the things we are telling you. Don't let it intimidate you, it's super easy. This thread is great > http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-15/how-set-your-motorcycle-carburetor-float-level-more-commentary-13608/

Edited by BlackCR25098

I'm pretty sure that's the clip he was describing, that's pretty standard for float needles. I think it's really only there for convenience, I've seen carbs run fine missing the little loop clip.