Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 250 sx top end life in woods riding? or 300 XC?

Hey guys! Im brand new here and figured I would introduce myself and get some help with a question I've been trying to get answered for a while. First off, Im Kody 22 years old, use to ride when I was younger ( around 5 to 14) then I kinda just stopped. No idea why I stopped but I wish I never.. So anyways, Im going to be getting back into it this year and I plan on buying a KTM 250 sx or a KTM 300 xc 2012 of either one I buy. Now I'll be riding MX at least once a week or whenever I can get there and I'll also be riding trails and a little bit of fun in the pits. I've heard a lot about the SX being a great woods machine with a few extra $ and I've also heard the XC being a great MX bike with a few extra $ haha see where this is going? What do you guys think would be the best for my needs? I personally would rather the SX but would riding it on trail make the top end go faster or cause extra wear to the bike? And yes I will take proper care of whatever one I buy. Answer as if the bike was to stay stock ( it won't but I want a better base to compare).. Sorry if it was a bit long guys but I've been stuck on this for a while :smirk: .Thanks for any help!!

Read the last 2 issues of Motocross Action. They take a 300XC and do EXACTLY what you are referring to. :smirk:

Ya I've read it but they spend a lot of time and money converting the bike. I'm wondering what is the best to do both straight out of the shop?

buy a 250sx... its cheaper, lighter, and faster than a 300xc. the 250sx works awesome in the woods and on the track..

I've had both. You can put a lot of hours on the 250 SX in the woods with no problem. If you are going to be riding mx and trails, I would go with the 250 unless you will be riding a lot of logging roads to connect the trails. Then the 6th gear on the 300 would be nice. If you buy the 250 and wish you had the torque of the 300, you can always buy the factory 300 top end kit when it's time to do the top end.

I put three seasons on my 09 250 XC mostly woods racing but some MX. Fun to pass people with a kick stand. New top end did make it much snappier but it was not in any danger of emminant failure

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to go in tomorrow and have a look at the prices and have a seat on them

What do you guys think about the 300's suspension for MX? Im not very heavy so I probably wont have as many problems as some.. I'm 145lbs haha

I think you would like the 250 way more for MX than the 300. the three hundred motor is very low key no real hit. Great for the woods less so for MX in my opinion

I too think you would like a 250 SX better, or even a 250 XC.. The 300 is a torque monster and feels slow compared to a 250.. Not that it's slow, but a 250 is snappier.. I know more than a few people who buy a 250 SX and use it off road successfully.

For the record i ride a 12 300 xc..

Edited by zilla

I too think you would like a 250 SX better, or even a 250 XC.. The 300 is a torque monster and feels slow compared to a 250.. Not that it's slow, but a 250 is snappier.. I know more than a few people who buy a 250 SX and use it off road successfully.

For the record i ride a 12 300 xc..

I agree

For the record i ride a 12 250 xc

If you weigh 145, the suspension should be fine on either bike. The SX will feel stiff in the woods. If you haven't ridden for quiet a few years like you mentioned in your post, the XC suspension may be a little better for you. Have you considered the 250 XC? After reading your posts again, I really think the 250 XC is the right bike for you. If I were you, I would drop the 300 from the wish list and make a decision between the 250 SX and 250 XC.

Its been my opinion that its easier to convert a mx bike to offroad than a offroader to mx. I have owned both the 300 and 250sx. I currently ride a 09 250sx for everything. Just add a skidplate, handguards and maybe a larger tank. I race mx and gp's on it. Maybe an occasional scramble and lots of aggressive trail riding. It's my ''do it all'' bike.

I figure I probably race 8-10 times a year, practice mx 1-2 x a week, and longer trail rides every other week. I do a top end once a year and thats probably over kill

Edited by Dirt Addict

If you weigh 145, the suspension should be fine on either bike. The SX will feel stiff in the woods. If you haven't ridden for quiet a few years like you mentioned in your post, the XC suspension may be a little better for you. Have you considered the 250 XC? After reading your posts again, I really think the 250 XC is the right bike for you. If I were you, I would drop the 300 from the wish list and make a decision between the 250 SX and 250 XC.

250 XC is probably plenty for me, I just had a look at it and I think you right about forgetting the 300 XC.. Still so confused haha lots of money so I want to make sure I have the right bike.. What's the 250 XC like on the MX track?

250 XC is probably plenty for me, I just had a look at it and I think you right about forgetting the 300 XC.. Still so confused haha lots of money so I want to make sure I have the right bike.. What's the 250 XC like on the MX track?

Don't forget to hook the little rubber thing around the kickstand.

Everything else wise the bike works awesome on a mx track. Thought the electric start, large tank and 6 speed are kinda impractical they do just fine. The suspension will be your issue. Stock will handle it fine but if you plan on doing a revalve for just off-road it will work great in that disipline but will lag a bit in mx. I will be just too soft. But if you spend the time, you can get a good setup of suspension that will do well in both but not great at either.