Sign in to follow this  

Washington I want to work towards making ravensdale a legal place to ride. I need help.

I have never been to the ravensdale ORV trails, and from what I can understand, they are an amazing set of trails. However, the problem is that there is a patchwork of private property out there that some of the trails pass, near the unofficial staging areas.

What if we came up with a plan, a budget, and a huge list of riders (think patition....lets get hundreds of local riders). We present this to DNR or BLM.

It seems ridiculous, i've read countless stories of hikers having no problem with dirt bikers out there, and everyone seems to agree that the real problem are the damn rednecks dumping their garbage out in the trails; fridges, microwaves, trash. In essence, I see no reason why the state cannot open up these trails.

I have a basic plan of attack as is, but I am merely a college student with not much leverage. We're all upstanding citizens, and deserve to have the area open. We need to prove WE'RE not the ones causing the issues on the ravensdale trails. Who would like to help me get the ball rolling?

Edited by jbowles3

As I have ridden up there many, many years ago, I don't think it's worth the hassle. There are some good trails up there especially the trail going to the top of Sugarloaf mountain. I think you will get a lot negative feedback from the people that live up there, except for the locals who live and ride up there. Just not worth it IMO.

Little Jeff

As I have ridden up there many, many years ago, I don't think it's worth the hassle. There are some good trails up there especially the trail going to the top of Sugarloaf mountain. I think you will get a lot negative feedback from the people that live up there, except for the locals who live and ride up there. Just not worth it IMO.

Little Jeff

Is some of this public land?

If so, managed by which agency?

Not sure if it is state land, but I was told by many that the King County Sherriff's patrol that area quite often along with a few locals who don't want anyone riding there.

Little Jeff

There are actually two or more sections. what many of us used to ride and are familure with is suger loaf and the area south west of Sugerloaf(Green River Tavern to the pit). Although some still ride there your asking to have issues.

A bit west is of the ravensdale market there is a network of trails that I think the OP is talikng about.

this area is used primarely by equestrians and some MTB riders. Great trails but a bit small..

I have never seen a sign saying no MV alowed, but I also dont see anyone riding it.. I used to quite often but mostly at night when no one else was around..why stir up issues..

It would be great to see if you can make something happen, a few years ago as they where holding a local meeting about what to do with the area. there where only a few dirt bikers who chimed in..

I live close by and would love to ride out there, but I think your chances are very slim. That said, I have seen alot of dual sporters out on the train tracks......why don't you guys invite me along!!!!!!!!

Sugarloaf mountain should be ours to use. We developed those trails. Im sure there is some way a deal can be worked out with the private land or blm. Either that or we re route trails to avoid all private lands

Doesn't matter who developed those trails. My read of the imap is Sugarloaf Mountain is now a King County Park, surrounded by RA-10 and RA-5 zoning. Makes for a nice rural large lot community with a large central park. There is also a mineral zone on the south side of Sugarloaf, could be a gravel pit. Sugarloaf is only a couple of hundred acres in size so isn't very desirable for trail riding.

What is interesting is on the east side of Kanasket-Kangley Rd is 22,000 acres of DNR land zoned as Forest, Plus Muckleshoot Tribal land and Snoqualmie NF.

Edited by chuck4788

I'm not aware that there is a single mile of ORV trail in King County. So I would enthusiastically support any effort to establish a riding area in the County. I'm guessing the first thing to do is to contact the council and ask for their thoughts? We elect these people so they should be responsive.

I once contacted the King County Sheriff and asked where it is legal to ride. I didn't really get an answer that made any sense.

I just emailed the King County office of Parks and Natural Resources. I asked if there is any park or land owned by King County where it is legal to ride ORVs. Let's see what the response is.

I just emailed the King County office of Parks and Natural Resources. I asked if there is any park or land owned by King County where it is legal to ride ORVs. Let's see what the response is.

Not to sound cynical but it may be easier to ask them to accept nuclear waste shipments for long term disposal needs.

In this current ohv hater enviroment we'll have more success playing pickup sticks with our butt cheaks than getting a new orv trail system.

Sounds impossible but if there is any hope I would be in to help as I live not to far away. I have played a bit in the area just east of the market out there where its logged off by the powerlines and there appears to be a handfull or roads and trails out there. Its always the local rednecks who ruin a place like that with trash and theft. I have yet to see any tresspassing signs but i wouldnt want to press my luck.

I like how its not PC to let dirt bikes ride an undeveloped area but they have no problem mowing down the entire place and putting in a housing developement.

I wish there was a way to get from that area to I-90 somewhere near North Bend on all dirt. I have tried several roads shown on Google maps but nothing seems to go through anymore. Mostly because of the water shed. Would be nice to be able to get to the pass on all back roads.

I never heard back from my email sent to King COunty. I am 99% sure there are no county-owned lands with legal ORV access.

Next step - I have contacted my King County Councilmember to get his thoughts on how we can proceed. Stay tuned. Actually, I think I'll start a new thread.

Another idea is to pursue OHV access to the DNR land on the east side of Kanasket-Kangley Road SE. Just east of that is Snoqualmie NF, lots of opportunities but some of the land is Muckleshoot..

Used to ride the power line roads frm lake Sawyer to the east of the county (Anderson Mtn?) and the power lines from Four Corners to Ravensdale and beyond. Used to call them the 1st and 2nd power lines relative to Maple Valley. The abandoned railroad tracks connected these nicely from the gravel pit near Wilderness Village and passed by Lake Wilderness (good for a summer dip) and on up to Four Corners and the power lines.

Riding was mostly on the logging and power line roads but that seemed like plenty back then for a full day of fun. Had friends that lived on Lake Sawyer adn in Four Corners, and played sports in Ravensdale Park so also used the offroad system as my transportation system. This was back in the late 70's though.

Pretty much closed up these days from what I could see. Oh, and Petrovitsky Road used to be just a gravel water pipeline access road back then. It connected us to the gravel pit and old railroad tracks by crossing over Hwy 18 and 169 where they came together. Lots of fun riding the big (tall) gravel piles. Broke my share of transmission half cases. Quite the network back then. Additionally we had 120+ acres of trails behind our property (off Sweeney Road) we used for riding, likely all developed now.

I guess my point is it seemed like just getting access to the powerline and logging roads in the area would be a great first step. I think most of it is private though.

Edited by K7MDL