Sign in to follow this  

Cross training (arm pump)

The first thing that makes me pull off the track is almost always arm pump. what do you guys do (if anything) to keep your hands and forearms ready to ride? The first couple weeks should be spent getting back into race shape (cardio and legs) instead of pulling off the track from arm pump and blisters. I want to know the best ways to condition that muscle group. I am hoping the workouts for this would be low impact and not require me to get my whole weight set out.

Pull ups and push ups are a good place to start. You can do them everyday and it doesn't need to be a lot. Start with two sets of 10 each, and add 1-5 daily or weekly until you're able to do 50. It might take months, but we have time during the winter.

Might be a head game more then anything but I feel push ups help me alot. I know its more your chest your working out but it seems like its helping.

It can be many things but the most important is you need to be cardio fit to reduce armpump, and riding fit, its that simple,

When you ride, make sure you are hydrated, dont use heavy weights to train, or do any exercise that works your forearm

Lastly, try relax on the bike and breath

take a rod or dowel around 20inches in lenth, cut a piece of rope so when your arms are straight out it wont hit the ground, tie a weight at the end of the rope 5lbs or so, now hold your arms out and roll up the weight and then let it go slowly back down. do this every day for 10 minutes. helps your wrists, forearms, triceps and shoulders, good luck and i hope it helps, just remember do it slowly with full twisting motion of your wrist.

Edited by customss

take a rod or dowel around 20inches in lenth, cut a piece of rope so when your arms are straight out it wont hit the ground, tie a weight at the end of the rope 5lbs or so, now hold your arms out and roll up the weight and then let it go slowly back down. do this every day for 10 minutes. helps your wrists, forearms, triceps and shoulders, good luck and i hope it helps, just remember do it slowly with full twisting motion of your wrist.

I like the sound of that one. Do you think it would be good to hang a couple ropes from my ceiling in the basement and hang from them and go back and forth from them like monkey bars?

I'd venture to guess the pull ups would help.....especially if you do some negatives...jump and start from the top...and lower yourself down in increments, be a long time of holding your weight with your grip. Possibly even grip strengthening things like eh said up there, anything to build up the forearm strength....then the norm everyone says here, drink enough water ALL week, cramps in general happen from dehydration...good diet...i mean goin out gettin plowed and eating like crap, then tryin to race the next day isnt going to help. haha. Also a good suggestion by customs, just make sure you are turnin over on your grip (overgripping to start) to get the full range or movement!