Sign in to follow this  

2004 Crf250r, What year head/piston fits?

I just bought a '04 Crf250r. This is my second 04' although I sold my first one a couple of years ago. The bike I just bought is an extremely low hour bike and still has the original chain, sprockets, and tires on it. It was ridden very little since new. My question is what heads will fit this bike? It is nowhere near a rebuild just yet, but when it comes time I want to know what I can use. When I had my first '04 I rebuilt it with an '07 head and a high compression Wiseco piston(I think the compression ratio was stock on the newer bikes). I bought valves and springs from RHC. That was one of the best running/starting bikes I've ever had. So can I run the '08 or '09 head? I'm planning on buying valves and springs but I don't think I'll go with RHC again. Not because I had trouble with them but I just don't have that kind of cash this time around. Everyone talks about the stainless Kibblewhites but I also heard that you lose some top end HP with that. I'm a woods racer but there are some field sections where the bike occasionally gets rung out. What piston/compression ratio should I go with? I've always used Wiseco in the past and had good luck.

Cylinders and heads from 2004 through 2009 are interchangeable. Pretty much agreed that the 2008/2009 heads were better ported and had the best performing stock cams. The 2008/2009 models also bumped the compression slightly (12.9 to 13.1:1) and, though I haven't confirmed the statement, the pistons were supposedly a bit lighter allowing the counter balancer to be lightened as a result.

So, my recommendation would be, see if you can find a good 2008/2009 head, install a Wiseco piston and, as a last step, find a 2008/2009 counter balancer - Or just put up with a little bit more vibration.

Would I order a piston for my year model or the year of the head? Seems like I would just order the higher compression Wiseco piston for an '04.