Sign in to follow this  

2005 crf450x just purchased

2005 Honda CRF450X FMF power core full exhaust with spark arrestor. which is why i am posting after purchasing the bike and taking it around the block a couple times i realized that the header was turning red hot it was also turning red hot after being started for on a couple minutes (when started from cold), so i have decided to take the carb off and clean it up, i still have the bike apart and purchased a FMF power up jet kit which has all the specs with it. I read through a couple of pages of the thread not finding any info on this subject thus the reason i am posting, What i am getting at is can anyone give me some tips on fuel adjustment and any info on the subject i live in Chandler Az. Any and all info well be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Hey Scotty,

Congrats on the purchase !! Sounds like you may have some lean jetting issues to take care of before being able to enjoy the bike. My header does not glow red.

Can you tell us a little more about the bike? Which muffler insert are you running? Has the airbox been derestricted? Are you running fresh, premium gas, 91 octane, or better?

Does the bike start easily and idle well after a few seconds of using the choke? After you ride, does the idle "hang up" high and then settle down after a few seconds?

Does the bike backfire when you decel? Does it run erratically with a cracked throttle at constant speed? At 1/2 throttle and WOT?

The pilot jet could be a little clogged from not being used. Also, make sure there is an o-ring around the idle mixture screw. (Don't be fooled, sometimes it get's stuck up in the housing when the screw is removed.)

• Like 1

2005 Honda CRF450X FMF power core full exhaust with spark arrestor. which is why i am posting after purchasing the bike and taking it around the block a couple times i realized that the header was turning red hot it was also turning red hot after being started for on a couple minutes (when started from cold), so i have decided to take the carb off and clean it up, i still have the bike apart and purchased a FMF power up jet kit which has all the specs with it. I read through a couple of pages of the thread not finding any info on this subject thus the reason i am posting, What i am getting at is can anyone give me some tips on fuel adjustment and any info on the subject i live in Chandler Az. Any and all info well be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Close to a billion posts on this subject.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum, and copy someone's jetting that lives in your approximate elevation and average humidity, and similar accessories, and you will be golden.

• Like 1

Scott,

I too just picked up a 05 garage queen that I plan to dual sport. Mine is a one kicker hot or cold, elec works well too. My only problem is the owner took the baffle out and has no idea where it is. Bike is too loud for me. Do you have the oem muffler you would like to sell? I'm just up here in Fountain Hills so we're not far apart. I'm picking up a shop manual tomorrow and will let you know what my jetting is. Sounds like your pilot is clogged to me.

Scott,

I too just picked up a 05 garage queen that I plan to dual sport. Mine is a one kicker hot or cold, elec works well too. My only problem is the owner took the baffle out and has no idea where it is. Bike is too loud for me. Do you have the oem muffler you would like to sell? I'm just up here in Fountain Hills so we're not far apart. I'm picking up a shop manual tomorrow and will let you know what my jetting is. Sounds like your pilot is clogged to me.

sorry but i don't have the stock pipe also when i purchased the bike it would start up first try hot or cold and ran flawless but my only concern was the pipe was heating up to hot. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned and cleared everything so there isn't any clogs thanks for the suggestion though. An update though after working on it for a few days now and realizing that the fmf jet kit is worthless I'm in the middle of upping my main to a 170 will see how it works.