Sign in to follow this  

250x or 450x? help

I am trying to help a buddy decide which bike would be best for him. He has way outgrown his 2009 honda 230 fourstroke. Plus he just came off an injury from that bike. He is 5'10, 220ish. Riding mountain and desert trials in Southern BC, canada. Intermediate rider, some jumping required. His biggest worry stepping up to the 450 is rider height. Can you adjust the suspension to sit lower until he adjusts? Is the suspension lighter on the 250x's.

Thanks

Well, I'm 5'5" and my only dirt bike (I just sold my 2009 Yamaha WR-250F yesterday) is my 2009 Honda CRF-450X.

So, to me, it comes down to his riding ability more than his height.

If the guy's a natural on a dirt bike AND has been riding for quite some time, I bet he's take to the CRF-450X pretty well, and also love the power and torque at his command (which is why we like big bikes).

The 450 will feel heavier while manovering, but the trade-off is worth it in my book.

If the guy is still obviously learning the ropes on how to ride and is just an average or below rider, he should get a CRF-250X (if choosing between just the two bikes you listed).

That would still be a serious upgrade in power and chassis performance.

Practically speaking, the seat height of either bike will be the same.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1

FYI, the seat height on my '09 250 and 450 is identical; 38" The difference in weight between the two is minimal; about 16lbs.

However, the 250 feels much more nimble then the 450. It's narrower up by the tank and it's not as top heavy as the 450 (feels like it carries it's weight lower down).

I'm 5' 10', 190lbs, intermediate as well. I like the 250 for the tight woods, but if it opens up in the slightest, I like the 450 a lot better.

From what you've said, I would think the 450 would be a better choice.

Jim.

• Like 1

Never rode a 250x, been riding my 05 450X for 5+ years, came off a TTR125. I'm 5' 10", 220lbs (230+- with riding gear), intermediate as well ride florida tight sandy trails and ride a good bit in North, GA mountains. I have no problem with the seat height & the bike does not feal heavy when moving forward. I was intemidated at 1st, added a stealy fly wheel weight helped a lot with the power delivery. Thought about removing it but on muddy days I get much better traction. Bottum line would not trade my 450x for nothing, well maybe a newer 450x. Glad to have the 450 power when needed.

Unless it is extremely tight riding, go with the 450. You won't wring the bike's neck as easily, and will benefit with slightly (valvetrain) less maintenance(except rear tires). Grin factor for a 450x is huge!

I've never been dissapointed because I had more power, but I've sure wished for more when I didn't. A 220 pound guy is a 450 candidate.

I started out on 230F after a 30-year break from riding and it didn't take long to outgrow it. When I was looking for a 250X to buy, I ran across a 450X and said what the heck, I might as well check it out. After one test drive I had to have it, so I bought it and haven't looked back since. Just my 2 cents... :smirk:

Edit to say: I'm 5' 9 165lbs and height isn't a problem.

Edited by pbeeny
  • Like 1

After renting a 250x from Big Valley Honda I bought a 450x. I will say there are times I think a lighter bike would be better. Who ever is going to ride the bike needs to be honest about how their going to use it and go from there.

I started out on 230F after a 30-year break from riding and it didn't take long to outgrow it. When I was looking for a 250X to buy, I ran across a 450X and said what the heck, I might as well check it out. After one test drive I had to have it, so I bought it and haven't looked back since. Just my 2 cents... :bonk:

Edit to say: I'm 5' 9 165lbs and height isn't a problem.

I'm curious what your inseam is; I find the seat height somewhat difficult as I can barely get a toe on the ground (have a 30" inseam).

This gets me into a bit of trouble on occasion when I really need to plant a foot down. By the time I do, the bike is so far over that I struggle with it

Most of it is me I'm sure, but I often wish the seat was a couple inches lower.

Jim.

My quote tool is acting kind of flaky (making references to fonts), but to answer your question Jim; my inseam is 33. With my boots on, the ball of my foot is on the ground and heals an inch or so off the ground. It was a little awkward at first coming off a 230F (standing flat footed), but feel quite comfortable now.

~P

I have owned both, I kept my 06 450x for 2 years. The longest of any bike in recent memory for me. My 250x's (3 of them) I usually sold after one year.

You can go really great on a 250x in tight woods, much better than a 450. Soon as it opens up, the 450 is gone.....

I am now considering another X, and still struggling with which one I want. Love the handling lightweight feel of the 250, just feel a little bored with it sometimes.

The 450 is very fun, it will not bore you, but it will make you wish it was smaller and lighter and less powerfull in a really tight 1st gear trail with lots of pushing, pulling dragging and lifting (we do that all winter long up here!). If that kind of torture does not happen much where you ride, consider the 450....