Sign in to follow this  

another "HELP", broke something in tranny?(09 250)

Hi guys,

I will continue searching more but I have never had a tranny issue on any of my yz's until this so looking for input!

09 yz 250:

Riding today, landed a jump in 3rd gear and the motor got LOUD like everything was clanging around right as I landed. I pulled in the clutch and off the track. Stopped and tried to shift gears and couldn't find 1st/neutral. The gear shifter felt really weird and like it was just moving freely. After several up and down clicks I was able to find neutral and walk the bike off the track.

thoughts on maybe a specific part that might be broken off in there? shift fork or broken gear etc?

Thank you for any thoughts/input, going to pull the motor out tomorrow after work and start looking.

ps- Sad this happened today but my bike has been rock solid so I can't complain at the moment

It could be the shifter mechanism behind the clutch cover... I would check there before you pull the engine out of the bike.

Just drain the oil and pull the main clutch cover (the big one).

Pour the oil through a strainer or screen, or use a magnet. If there are any big chunks of metal, you have to split the cases for sure.

It could also be a problem with the 5th gear.

The driven 5th gear slides to the right to engage 1st gear or to the left to engage 3rd gear.

If the 5th gear is messed up, it won't engage property.

The problems I've had with the YZ250 trans are always 4th gear related, but they screw up shifting action in the other gears.

Teeth break off of the 4th gear and wind up falling into other assemblies like the shift drum and forks, etc.

3rd gear is known to break teeth off. Ive heard of quite a few people who moto break teeth of 3rd. best bet is to take the right side case cover off and inspect the shift pauls and make shure they are fine. If you stiil cant get it to shift your splitting the cases.

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Just took most of the crap off the bike and drained the oil...very metalic oil pouring out but no chunks of stuff (yet). Took the clutch cover off and clutch plates but called it quits for the night so I can eat. Will take the basket off tomorrow and see if anything looks F'd behind there.

I really don't know since I have no experience with this issue but I feel like it is probably a broken gear tooth/teeth.

Probably broken teeth on 3rd like you are thinking. I've had it happen twice... :smirk:

Probably broken teeth on 3rd like you are thinking. I've had it happen twice... :smirk:

Were there a lot of misc. parts in there you had to order along with the 3rd gear?

Were there a lot of misc. parts in there you had to order along with the 3rd gear?

First time I had it happen I rode it for another 20 minutes before I realised it was serious and I ended up having to get third gear and all the transmision bearings and shift drum bearings.

Before the second time I got smart and put a magnetic drain plug in and it cought most of the chunks, so I only ended up replacing 2 bearings and the gear.

UPDATE:

ordered case splitter and some other tools and the damage was as I thought it might be. 3rd gear had 4 teeth shredded off of it and in turn messed up a few other gears. fun fun

There seems to be a lot of this going around; before the last couple of years I would have told everyone the YZ transmission was basically indestructable - guess not!