Sign in to follow this  

Crank case silicone

I split the case on my '10 KX250F and I'm about ready to put the two halves back together after some low end work. I was wondering what kind of silicone/gasket maker I should use to put in between the two halfs upon assembly (there is no case gasket on our Kawasaki's). I do not want to purchase the $60 Kawasaki silicone to put it back together if there is a cheaper alternative that works just as good, if not better.

I don't want to put something in there that has not been used before and will not work, causing me to be tearing this thing apart after a couple motos.

Thanks!

In the KXF 450 forum they say the cases can be assembled without anything. The cases have to be VERY clean on their mating surfces.

I would check out some other case bonding goop like hondabond or yamabond or similar that is specifically made for engine cases also. You might be able to beat $60 by quite a bit.

In the KXF 450 forum they say the cases can be assembled without anything. The cases have to be VERY clean on their mating surfces.

I would think that they have a gasket and are not putting gasket sealant on the gasket.... I can’t believe an aluminum on aluminum surface would hold oil/water.

I will buy the Kawasaki stuff if I have to, but people have been mating aluminum surfaces for quite some time now, and can't believe a liquid gasket/sealant rocket science...or is it?

I would check out some other case bonding goop like hondabond or yamabond or similar that is specifically made for engine cases also. You might be able to beat $60 by quite a bit.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for, I found a tube of the product for a very reasonable price, on-line. I think I might take the Honda/yama bond route. While researching I read good things about "The Right Stuff"

"I use "The Right Stuff" comes in a Cheezewhiz type dispenser, you can apply it and immediately join parts and run them.

The OEM's use them for engine builds on the production lines. So do all the drag racers.

You can literally apply it assemble, and run the engine. there is no wait time. It seals even before it fully cures, which is like 10 minutes." -From another site

But I am a little worried to stray to far, I would hate to split the case again because i'm being too cheap or experimenting :smirk:

I would think that they have a gasket and are not putting gasket sealant on the gasket.... I can’t believe an aluminum on aluminum surface would hold oil/water.

I will buy the Kawasaki stuff if I have to, but people have been mating aluminum surfaces for quite some time now, and can't believe a liquid gasket/sealant rocket science...or is it?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/940807-bottom-end-rebuild/page__fromsearch__1

In post #7 you can read where I got it from. No gasket, no sealant.

But I would use sealant myself. Just a hair though, the same amount that is pressed out, also goes in to the engine and probably ends up in the oil screen.

im a big fan of the permatex high temp rtv sealent. i've used it numerous times and even once on the right waterpump/clutch/kickstart cover of my cr when i was too cheap to buy a gasket.i sold the bike a year later and it never leaked.

http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

In post #7 you can read where I got it from. No gasket, no sealant.

But I would use sealant myself. Just a hair though, the same amount that is pressed out, also goes in to the engine and probably ends up in the oil screen.

That's crazy! Thanks for sharing, Hats off to Kawasaki and their tight machine tolerances.

"the same amount that is pressed out, also goes in to the engine and probably ends up in the oil screen." -Or blocking an oil passage :smirk:

That's crazy! Thanks for sharing, Hats off to Kawasaki and their tight machine tolerances.

"the same amount that is pressed out, also goes in to the engine and probably ends up in the oil screen." -Or blocking an oil passage :smirk:

Yeah, even worse!