Sign in to follow this  

Streched Cam Chain

Just got a nice lookin '08 with low hours......99% on pavement.... a neighborhood rida. lol. Anyway, the cam chain is really streched out it seems. I took the valve cover off last night and the chain seemed really floppy. I checked the adjuster and it was all the way out. I let the adjuster all the way in and could actually take the chain off the cam sprocket......is this normal? I thought you had to take the sprocket off to remove/install the chain. Also, is it normal for the chain to be streched out this bad. Other than that, the bike runs great, seems to have strong compression, and I can tell it only has 30-40 hours or so of run time, but all pavement. Would the additional traction cause the cam chain to stretch? It seems like it caused the clutch basket to notch out because the clutch release is a little grabby, but very smooth clutch pull.

Just got a nice lookin '08 with low hours......99% on pavement.... a neighborhood rida. lol. Anyway, the cam chain is really streched out it seems. I took the valve cover off last night and the chain seemed really floppy. I checked the adjuster and it was all the way out. I let the adjuster all the way in and could actually take the chain off the cam sprocket......is this normal? I thought you had to take the sprocket off to remove/install the chain. Also, is it normal for the chain to be streched out this bad. Other than that, the bike runs great, seems to have strong compression, and I can tell it only has 30-40 hours or so of run time, but all pavement. Would the additional traction cause the cam chain to stretch? It seems like it caused the clutch basket to notch out because the clutch release is a little grabby, but very smooth clutch pull.

roadrace bikes handle 2-3x the HP and 2-3x the speed on pavement. I have seen street bikes with 20,000+ miles with intact clutch baskets. the clutch plates of a crf450 are almost identical (if not exactly the same) to a yamahaR6 so the basket is the same size. A street bike basket is not a stronger/beefier item is what im getting at ..

A cam chain with the strech your describing will likely cause timing to jump SOON. If the stock tensioner is all the way adjusted as you describe, and the chain is still loose, ya better stop riding it right now and get a new cam chain.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Ok, cool. I just don't understand why it's stretched so bad. I can tell the bike has low hours, or they just kept it really clean. Everything feels like a new bike....clutch pull, throttle feel, brakes, just a really clean bike. I know the chains stretch, but it seems like it wouldn't be stretched this badly. Anyway, got a new chain on the way. JJrace advised me to replace the auto adjuster as well, but are they really that prone to failure. I heard this was mainly a problem on the early models.

Ok, cool. I just don't understand why it's stretched so bad. I can tell the bike has low hours, or they just kept it really clean. Everything feels like a new bike....clutch pull, throttle feel, brakes, just a really clean bike. I know the chains stretch, but it seems like it wouldn't be stretched this badly. Anyway, got a new chain on the way. JJrace advised me to replace the auto adjuster as well, but are they really that prone to failure. I heard this was mainly a problem on the early models.

if your gonna replace the 08 tensioner, i would get a manual tensioner.. would love to see some photos though. I too have read it has been earlier models that had issues. My 04 has had a mcct for years, my 08 has the stock OEM cct.

I'm wondering if the prievious owner removed and reinstalled the tensioner without retracting it, thus wearing out the plastic cam chain guides. Just a thought.

• Like 1

if your gonna replace the 08 tensioner, i would get a manual tensioner.. would love to see some photos though. I too have read it has been earlier models that had issues. My 04 has had a mcct for years, my 08 has the stock OEM cct.

The MCCT I bought here at TT came today. It is very well made. The machining is very good and close-tolerance. I am glad I bought this one for $43.00 and not the TokyoMods for $99.00+

The MCCT I bought here at TT came today. It is very well made. The machining is very good and close-tolerance. I am glad I bought this one for $43.00 and not the TokyoMods for $99.00+

I orded the same one!

I'm wondering if the prievious owner removed and reinstalled the tensioner without retracting it, thus wearing out the plastic cam chain guides. Just a thought.

nice! hadn't thought of that. I'll check with a flashlight and see if I can tell. Doesn't really look like it has ever been taken off tho...

thanks for the input.

The guides are only like 25 bucks apiece...I would just replace them...this seems the only logical reason for such crazy stretching. I'm in kentucky and the two I replaced in mine looked brand new...I'll never use em..if your close I'd give em to you.

The guides are only like 25 bucks apiece...I would just replace them...this seems the only logical reason for such crazy stretching. I'm in kentucky and the two I replaced in mine looked brand new...I'll never use em..if your close I'd give em to you.

I'm gonna check them out and see if that is what caused it. I'm not a member of the "just replace them" club though. I coulda just bought a new 2012 if I had money comin out my...

On a side note, I think I am gonna convert my acct to manual. Just a couple days after posting this, a friend of mine had a auto tensioner fail and destroy his engine.

I'm gonna check them out and see if that is what caused it. I'm not a member of the "just replace them" club though. I coulda just bought a new 2012 if I had money comin out my...

On a side note, I think I am gonna convert my acct to manual. Just a couple days after posting this, a friend of mine had a auto tensioner fail and destroy his engine.

Its a long way from $50 for a new pair of chain guides and a brand new $10,000 bike. Cheap insurance if you ask me. :smirk:

Its a long way from $50 for a new pair of chain guides and a brand new $10,000 bike. Cheap insurance if you ask me. :smirk:

That is true, but if they aren't worn then why replace them? :bonk:

Just to clarify....yes, I'm gonna check them out and I'm grateful for the tip about the prev. owner potentially putting the acct back in without retracting it. BUT, if that's not the case, and the chain just stretched out without causing wear to the guide, then why spend $50 for no reason? Am I missing something? I know that these bikes require alot of maintenance, but I've never heard of cam chain guides being something that required frequent replacement.

Edited by jcross312

That is true, but if they aren't worn then why replace them? :smirk:

Just to clarify....yes, I'm gonna check them out and I'm grateful for the tip about the prev. owner potentially putting the acct back in without retracting it. BUT, if that's not the case, and the chain just stretched out without causing wear to the guide, then why spend $50 for no reason? Am I missing something? I know that these bikes require alot of maintenance, but I've never heard of cam chain guides being something that required frequent replacement.

I wasnt saying you need to change them. Just that 50 bucks for the guides shouldnt push you to a new 2012.

You probably dont need the guides. What makes you think the chain is "stretched" anyway? Is the cam timing off? (Retarded)

What happens at the rear wheel has zero affect on the cam chain. All the cam chain knows is spring tension and lobe ramps. Its got no impact or is effected by the engines output.

Oh, it's streched, no doubt. The acct is all the way out and there was absolutely no tension on the chain, just flopping around in there like a drive chain that has never been adjusted. I'm really suprised that it didn't jump time. Other than that the bike looks really good, doesn't smoke, strong power, never been rebuilt. Strange that it streched so badly.

Oh, it's streched, no doubt. The acct is all the way out and there was absolutely no tension on the chain, just flopping around in there like a drive chain that has never been adjusted. I'm really suprised that it didn't jump time. Other than that the bike looks really good, doesn't smoke, strong power, never been rebuilt. Strange that it streched so badly.

.. you should go play the lottery, now.. :smirk:

.. you should go play the lottery, now.. :smirk:

haha, i hear ya' bud. I'll try to get some pic's up of the bike and when the new chain arrives I'll do a side by side comparison of the length difference. I checked the guides last night and they look basically like new. I'll get some pics of those too while I'm at it. They mystery continues

I just did a motor that had a worn out cam chain. The issue was the cage in the main bearing on the left side crank was eating itself and producing tiny metal shards that were like little files. They beat the piston to shit and the cam chain was sloppy sloppy sloppy. It'd flop over to the side almost 90 degrees like a rope, not a drive chain.

If I were you Id take the oil filter out and cut it apart and look for metal. It'll also stick to the ignition pick up.

I just did a motor that had a worn out cam chain. The issue was the cage in the main bearing on the left side crank was eating itself and producing tiny metal shards that were like little files. They beat the piston to shit and the cam chain was sloppy sloppy sloppy. It'd flop over to the side almost 90 degrees like a rope, not a drive chain.

If I were you Id take the oil filter out and cut it apart and look for metal. It'll also stick to the ignition pick up.

Good heads up. I changed the oil already and it had a ss oil filter. The prev owner hadn't changed the oil in awhile, black and nasty looking oil....but not much metal in the filter. I had a ss filter in my '06 and would usually find a few flecks of metal in it every now and then, so I suppose just a few specks and slivers is common. I'll check out the flywheel magnet when I take it apart for metal. That reminds me, I bought one of those oil filter magnets but keep forgetting to put it in.

I forget which is which but just something to keep in mind, I believe the metals that come from bearings are magnetic and those which come from sheared gears are not, check that out to find out where the metal is coming from. It's important..(I might have the order mixed up but if you check that and post your results someone more knowledgeable will let you know what your results mean.)