Sign in to follow this  

K&N Air filter help

Hi i'm getting a 2010 crf 450x on wednesday and i'm looking for a K&N air filter, the only ones i can find are for the 450r and i askde them and they said the only ones they have are for the R, will the air filter be the same?

Ah so you're sure a 2010 R filter will fit the X then, don't want to waste £70

No it won't. If you read again what I typed, I said that the 2003-2008 450R filter will fit all years of the X but that seems to be just for foam filters. Upon doing a little research (which you could have done yourself) on the K&N website, it shows different part numbers between the X and the R. So, with K&N filters, they seem to be application specific. The K&N part# for the 450X is HA-2505XD

Here's a link to their website: http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm

And here's a link to the 450X filter, Part# HA-2505XD: http://www.knfilters...?Prod=HA-2505XD

Edited by MasterT2000

This is weird, looking on their website that air filter fits from like 04-09 crf 450x and hte 2012, but nothing for 2010 and 2011..... and i look on search for products about 2010 honda crf x and it onliy lists the R for 2010.. slightly weird

This is weird, looking on their website that air filter fits from like 04-09 crf 450x and hte 2012, but nothing for 2010 and 2011..... and i look on search for products about 2010 honda crf x and it onliy lists the R for 2010.. slightly weird

A lot of parts made for the X is made for the US market and when you go on line thats what you are looking at. There were not any 10/11 X's for the US even though Honda sold 10/11 for the rest of the world. A 12 is the same as a 09 here so I would guess a 10/11 could be the same. Hope thats helpfull.

Hi i'm getting a 2010 crf 450x on wednesday and i'm looking for a K&N air filter, the only ones i can find are for the 450r and i askde them and they said the only ones they have are for the R, will the air filter be the same?

K&N filter is not recommended: it passes large amounts of dirt. It will void a Honda Warranty (X does not have one) if used.

The K&N filter is a 'performance product' first, and an 'air filter' second.

Honda valves are EXTREMELY susceptible to dust contamination of the fuel, and will destroy the titanium nitrite coating on the intake valves, causing them to sink into the head.

Have fun!

Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

But the K&N one should be fine for the road, since I wont be do any off roading, and I think the 2009 is the same bike as the 2010 so the same parts will fit

Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.

http://www.bobistheo...er/airtest3.htm

I would agree with Krannie. I ran a K&N filter on a dirt car I raced and when you removed the air cleaner you could see the dirt that passed through in the carb. A pre filter helped but some could still be found in the carb.

We didn't run near the miles on those engine as we all ask of our dirt bikes so it wasn't a problem, but I will not run one on my Honda.