Sign in to follow this  

2010 locked up solid

Im guessing my lower rod bearin locked up on me the other day since my oil has alot of brass in it. i have yet to tear it apart. bike has between 35 to 40 hours on it. So now the question is what parts do i want to put back in it. I was thinkin a hot rod crank for sure but if the piston and jug are shot i was thinkin a big bore kit(270 OR 280 or some sort of stroker kit??) and possibly a cam(hot cam stage 2) and what should i do for a remap new to the efi stuff. or do i just got stupid ideas here and should put all stock back in. i do have my mind set on a hot rod crank instead of stock had good luck with them. i ride alot in a old local gravel pit and woods but also enjoy racin the 250 b calss and open b class just for the fun of it not into chasin the points or any thing. and i dont want a 450 i like my bike. shoot me some ideas before i order some parts please!

I put the Hot Rods crank in mine and so far, I'm 20 hours in and everything is solid... not sure how much that is saying though. I'd avoid the big bore kit just because then your putting a lot more stress on the crank, the weakest part (it seems) in the motor. Plus stock pistons are cheap and hold up well. I put a 2011 FMF 4.1 RCT pipe on my 2010 (just cut a small piece of flat bar and drilled holes in the flat bar to make it fit) and that made a HUGE power difference if that is what your looking for.

Honda OEM Cranks are usually better manufactured than the HotRods.

We have heard of some problems with the 2010's, and I noticed the part number for the 2011/2012 cranks was changed, so we know Honda worked on the issue in the following model years.

The following link will get you to a distributor where you can purchase a new (I'd go for a 2012) OEM Honda crank for under $250 + shipping.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1414250&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2011&fveh=39350

I doubt if you have done much damage to the cylinder or piston, but you will obviously know more when you tear down the bike. An unfortunate side-effect of loosing one of the crank bearings is the bronze filings get into the crank bearings... So you will need to make sure they are still smooth running, or just replace them for a measure of safety.

I agree with the previous post that a stroker crank may not be the best mod. You will be increasing the rod swing angle on the piston wrist pin, and the stock setup is pretty much near the max reliable limit already. If you check out Carrillo's website, they make a 2mm longer rod for CRF250Rs to try to take a bit of the side load strains off the piston.

• Like 1