Sign in to follow this  

Manual- and 2010 CRF 450 X oil changes help

Does anyone know where to get a 2010 honda crf 450 x manual? I've looked online and not much luck, I'm in the uk and wandering where i can get one, looking online its all upto 2009 and not 2010 :/

I need to know things such as how much oil i need in the gearbox and how much in the engine and what oil i need in it

Edited by liamc93

Here are Honda's official specs:

Engine:

Recommended engine oil/classification/viscosity: Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 4-stroke oil or equivalent/API SF or SG/10W-30

Oil capacity after draining/filter change: 0.70 liter (0.74 US qt, 0.62 Imp qt)

Transmission:

Recommended transmission oil/classification/viscosity: Pro Honda HP Trans Oil or HP4 4-stroke oil or equivalent/ API SG or Higher/

Capacity after draining: 0.65 liter (0.69 US qt, 0.57 Imp qt)

I have a 2005, and i run a full quart in the transmission side at all times. Not sure if you need to on the newer bikes or not.

The specs are actually for a 2009, and they are identical for the 2012 (here in the US, there was no 2010 or 2011 X model) Not sure if it would be different over there, but you can always use the dipstick and the check bolt. I don't like using them but they are better than nothing.

Piece of advice; skip the check bolt. You can either:

1. Fill to the bottom of the large plug

2. Measure of the amount of oil you want to put in and fill through the large plug (or the filler hole if your a patient person).

The oil check hole is just too easy to strip. If you do go for it, the spec is 7 ft/lbs and always use a new crush washer.

I just stripped mine on the 250 last oil change (manual had 9 ft/lbs and I never questioned it) and many others here have done the same on both the 250 and 450.

I plan to either JB weld the hole or drill and tap, and if the latter, I'm never going to touch the bolt again.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman
  • Like 2

Advice: never use the check hole: it is not accurate, and not telling of actual oil quantity.

Use the engine oil dipstick to check oil level (hot engine, level ground, 1 min after shutting of engine).

You will find that if you break in the engine (seat the rings) properly, you can go a while without having to add oil (except at race pace, which will burn 5-15cc of oil per race!).

• Like 1

If you use the dipstick to check the engine oil level my manual says do not screw it in. I have an 05. Have you tried to order an OEM manual from a Honda dealer ?

You can find them on Ebay!

Also I've seen the PDF available if you want to download it. Check the downloads section.

I use Cyclepedia.

Greatest investment I ever made. Use it in my garage whenever stumped.

Online manual with detailed pictorial descriptions on how to do everything simple or complicated.

Specifically 05-12 450X's!

Thanks for help, I'm getting a manual soon which should help a lot :smirk: i'm only using for road but still planning on getting a K&N air filter and Stainless intake valves to make it more reliable, and change oil often

If you use the dipstick to check the engine oil level my manual says do not screw it in. I have an 05. Have you tried to order an OEM manual from a Honda dealer ?

That is correct. All Hondas with a dipstick are checked that way.

Thanks for help, I'm getting a manual soon which should help a lot :bonk: i'm only using for road but still planning on getting a K&N air filter and Stainless intake valves to make it more reliable, and change oil often

put an hour meter on it and run it to over 200 hrs before you even consider valves they will last at least this long.

put an hour meter on it and run it to over 200 hrs before you even consider valves they will last at least this long.

Not if he uses the K&N filter! His intake tract will be full of dust, and his valves will go out of spec in 50 hours.

• Like 1

I stopped by a Honda shop today and asked if they had any shop manuals. He said we got about 4 of them, which one you want? I said 450X. He said let me look. Comes back out with one in his hand! Say's it's my lucky day, I should play the lottery. He then said that will be $45.00. I quickly paid and bought a lottery ticket on the way home.

Not if he uses the K&N filter! His intake tract will be full of dust, and his valves will go out of spec in 50 hours.

Surely they wont go out of spec that quickly as i'm only riding it on the roads, there's not going to be much going in to the air filter. I will be using the torqe of the engine to get me around (low rpm) so wont be revving it high , and also I've got a manual now but the bike wont idle so hoping to sort that soon :/ it cuts out on the choke which is weird, it's annoying because i'm replacing my husky te 250 and that starts so easily

Surely they wont go out of spec that quickly as i'm only riding it on the roads, there's not going to be much going in to the air filter. I will be using the torqe of the engine to get me around (low rpm) so wont be revving it high , and also I've got a manual now but the bike wont idle so hoping to sort that soon :/ it cuts out on the choke which is weird, it's annoying because i'm replacing my husky te 250 and that starts so easily

Do whatever you want. but we are telling you here on this forum, in several categories, that the K&N filter, admittedly by K&N, does not filter very well.

• Like 1

i dont think dust is going to be an issue in the UK. I'd be more worried about getting water in the airbox.

Krannie is spot on this time. K+n filters are good for intake valve wear, and that"s about it. I like stock Honda filters(much easier to change after the airbox top is gone)and I have moose and twin air filters in rotation with good results thus far(change every ride,no matter what!). If you ride in dusty conditions with the k+n ,while reaming the bike,you will be lucky to get 50+ Hrs. I am not basing this on my personal experience,but several riders around here(crf 450r's) have given enough negative feedback that I won't run them. A manual is an excellent idea. Run a full quart in the tranny!

I dont think i need a full quart in the tranny, it's a 2010 and i think from 09 they fixed that.. also I'm using 100% for road so I think a K&N will be fine