Sign in to follow this  

experience with diffiernt cams in 440 kits

I have a 07 sm with a 440 athena kit, and 39mm carb. Does anyone have any experience with different cams in these 440 kits? Would like a little more bottom/ mid range. New to the forum, thanks to everyone for the info you have posted

Sorry if this is thread jack, but; Why doesn't anyone over here run web or megacycle cams? They are all over the Suzuki central Quad site?

I'm just asking, I got some nos old hotcams going in mine right now.

Hundred(if not thousands) riders have the setup with a 94mm bore and hotcams or DRZ-E cams.

Haven't heard about anybody not satisfied whith these cams.

Sorry if this is thread jack, but; Why doesn't anyone over here run web or megacycle cams? They are all over the Suzuki central Quad site?

I'm just asking, I got some nos old hotcams going in mine right now.

because the hotcams are proven in the big bore set ups to provide the best spread of power for a good price and can use oem valve springs.

you can compare ltz motor set ups with a drz really. the ltz spend much more time at high rpm compared to the the drz.

because the hotcams are proven in the big bore set ups to provide the best spread of power for a good price and can use oem valve springs.

you can compare ltz motor set ups with a drz really. the ltz spend much more time at high rpm compared to the the drz.

I totally get that, especially on a trail/dual sport application, but for a SM/ hot street bike wouldn't more top end (even at the expense of low/mid) be a good thing? Or does the reliability really drop off when they are run that hard, making a true race type bike a better choice since the maint advantage goes away?

Hundred(if not thousands) riders have the setup with a 94mm bore and hotcams or DRZ-E cams.

Haven't heard about anybody not satisfied whith these cams.

Well my old E (3x3/carb kit/PC-4) ran OK but any newer 400+ bike could easily walk away. My brother's MXV450 is a whole different animal! Yes it wasn't a big bore with mrd but still, no barn burner and I needed to gear down to make it responsive enough for me off road (no way I'm a good rider). But I'm just thinking more cam on the street wouldn't be a bad thing and surprised no one here seems to go that way?.

The reason most people dont go with "more cam" is because you have to upgrade the whole valve train for it to stay together which equals more money.

Its alot easier to throw a set of E cams or Hotcams in and still have reliability with stock valves and springs.

I totally get that, especially on a trail/dual sport application, but for a SM/ hot street bike wouldn't more top end (even at the expense of low/mid) be a good thing? Or does the reliability really drop off when they are run that hard, making a true race type bike a better choice since the maint advantage goes away?

you lose way more down low than you gain up high and you get to buy expensive valve springs. you gain no peak power,some after peak. you lose alot before peak.

dont make the mistake of over camming or over porting. thats spending money and creating work to go slower.

Kool! Thanks! I do in fact over cam according to most folks but I also tend to blow motors bouncing off the rev limiter and throttle stop. :smirk:

The best way to improve higher rpm on these bikes for minimal cost is the MRD exhaust . Check out some of the dyno charts , you will see it outperform all others and when you add the hotcam or E cams it goes even better , greg :smirk:

Let me know how your cams do when you put them in. I'm pretty interested

Just got he bike back. Did the FCR, BB, MRD, valves & springs, cams all together. All I can say is it runs pretty nice compared to stock. The cams hit pretty good in the mid and hold to the E limiter. Runs up to 90mph on the speedo pretty quick and lopes along at 70 cruise nice. 15/41 & SM wheels. It's no supersport but will most likely blow a 883 sporty completely away.

It's no supersport but will most likely blow a 883 sporty completely away.

I can't believe you just compared my bike to a Harley 883. :bonk:

I can't believe you just compared my bike to a Harley 883. :bonk:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't look/ride like a harley!

2-12rightsmall.jpg