Sign in to follow this  

Oil Strainer Bolt Stripped, How To Remove?

Well, since i got my bike i went to do an oil change, and found out the oil strainer nut WOULD NOT come out. the previous owner stripped out the nut head as well as must have over torqued the bolt b/c i even tried a pair of vise grips on it locked down and theyd just slide on the soft metalso finally out of fear of breaking something i left it so i could ride that weekend. I have ordered a new bolt and gasket, now im looking to yall for advice on how to get this bolt out?? Have any of yall had this problem? i definitely dont want to strip the cases out or break the bolt in the case. Any advice on removal?

...Have any of yall had this problem?...

yes, it is a very soft bolt and even when you torque to spec that bolt seems to seize up on its own if left for too long, i go 10% less on recommended torque for this bolt when tightening.

I had this problem happened to me also. I had to split the cases and have a heli coil inserted.

I noticed the first time I removed the screen, it was a little sticky going back in. Then when I went to remove it again it took all the threads out with it. My mechanic told me that this is common when you take the sceen out for the first time, alot of small shaving fall off the screen onto the threads when you pull it out. When you force it back in its like welding it together.

I dont think its a torque issue. Its a 16mm bolt. I think the bolt head is designed to strip before you over torque it. good luck