Sign in to follow this  

Using different brands of intake valves

Ok. Here is my story. I have 2002 450 R. Both intakes were zeroed and needed replacement. Take the head to a engine shop to have the head machined. Bought the ProX Ti to SS kit, with springs and installed them. Everything was great, the bike fired right up but it had a few noises going on inside the engine that just didn't sound quite right. Stored the bike for a few months, since it was the fall and attempted to start the bike and it didn't go well. Had to bump start and it sounded like crap initially. Rode it for about 30 minutes total. Took the bike home and wanted to check the valve clearance. Left side was zeroed and the gap on the right side actually opened up a fair bit. I took the cam off and noticed the left side had a problem with one of the collars in that one of them actually slipped off the the keeps groove and the end actually became rounded off. CRAP! Right side looks fine.

Question: I obviously need a new valve and it does not appear that I can just buy one ProX SS intake valve. It does look like I can buy a single kibblewhite SS intake valve. Can I have two different intake valves in my head or will it cause issues that I want to avoid? I'm trying to do this on the cheap but I obviously don't want to cause major problems down the road. I'm going to be selling the bike to a friend so I don't want it to implode on him. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The valves are operated independently by seperate lobes and seperate springs. I don't think it would be a problem.