Sign in to follow this  

XR4 Cam Chain Replacement

Can you replace the cam chain on a 99 XR400 without removing the clutch and what tools (chain press) would you use/need? Trying to rebuild before weekend. Need to order parts/tools quickly!

Edited by SquirlySteve

I think there is heated debate wether this is an acceptable practice. I have done it on a car but not on a bike. Here is a video I saw on youtube where someone does it on a xl250 by connecting the two chains together and pulling the old out. He was lucky to have not dropped anything down in.

Some say the pin will not be secured if done this way. My experience with a car chain was fine because I could block behind the pin and stake it with a punch. The video doesn't show doing this step.

I have to install my new crf chain in my xr4 and will be pulling the clutch out to install & not splitting the new chain.

There is a video on youtube of a guy doing his xl 6 camchain in 7 minutes (edited certainly) see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcEaTmWcHE

Good luck

I would absolutely not split the cam chain. The clutch needs to come off. Its not that bad of a job though. A common cam chain upgrade is to use one from an 03-08 CRF450R. Heavier duty and half the cost.

If you don't want to break the chain, then the clutch has to come off because you can't get the chain past the primary drive gear because of the way the clutch and primary mesh together.

Clutch has to come off like others have said, really easy with an impact gun if you can get a hold of one. Only takes a minute. Also like others have said use a CRF450 cam chain to save money/have a stronger chain. I've had one in mine for over a year with no problems.