Trials Chain

Not that chain but I've given up on non ring chains for off road use, the new T and X ring chain don't have the friction of the traditional O ring chains and DID has a narrow ring chain for applications that were not designed for the wide conventional ring chains. I've been converting my off road bikes to DID 520VT2 chains, including my Monty, and I like the long life, easy maintenance, and ability to run dry to reduce dirt collection. These chains can last several years and based on life cycle costs are much cheaper than conventional chains, also seldom need adjustment. I lube with a dry film teflon spray lube.

Here is a good price:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900082587

Edited by chuck4788

Not that chain but I've given up on non ring chains for off road use, the new T and X ring chain don't have the friction of the traditional O ring chains and DID has a narrow ring chain for applications that were not designed for the wide conventional ring chains. I've been converting my off road bikes to DID 520VT2 chains, including my Monty, and I like the long life, easy maintenance, and ability to run dry to reduce dirt collection. These chains can last several years and based on life cycle costs are much cheaper than conventional chains, also seldom need adjustment. I lube with a dry film teflon spray lube.

Here is a good price:

http://www.oemcycle....oduct/900082587

That is a very good chain. I use it on several of my bikes. It is heavier, wider and has noticeably more drag than a proper Trials chain though.

This stuff works good at keeping dirt off your chain too.

B2DTLwCGkKGrHqRigEqzd2ecqBMg9D0Iw_1.jpg

That is a very good chain. I use it on several of my bikes. It is heavier, wider and has noticeably more drag than a proper Trials chain though.

Really? Tests have shown that after warmup the T and X ring chains have low drag like the non ring chains. I run low HP light weight bikes and I can't feel the difference between a non ring chain and the 520VT2 chain.

A 520ERT2 chains weighs 3lbs per 100 links

A 520VT2 chain weighs 3.28lbs per 100 links, about 4oz more. Put half a cup less gas in your tank and the bike will weigh the same and be more nimble because of the lower CG.

Really? Tests have shown that after warmup the T and X ring chains have low drag like the non ring chains. I run low HP light weight bikes and I can't feel the difference between a non ring chain and the 520VT2 chain.

I'd be interested to see those tests. On a TTR 230 switching to a lightweight non ring chain makes an immediately noticeable improvement in response. I've also used the narrow X ring chain to smooth the response of a Trials bike that was too snappy for my tastes.

A 520ERT2 chains weighs 3lbs per 100 links

A 520VT2 chain weighs 3.28lbs per 100 links, about 4oz more. Put half a cup less gas in your tank and the bike will weigh the same and be more nimble because of the lower CG.

My original post refers to the 520ERS chain which is lighter than either of the chains you've mentioned. Also there is a significant difference between rotating, unsprung weight and static weight on the frame.

Edited by moto vita

that bike is sweet. It looked like in one picture the fork legs were turned around? I don't know about this chain theory that a friend told me. He said that by useing an oring chain that it developes a drag and in doing that it helps to smooth out the power? I think on a trials bike a good chian would be smoother and in turn make less drag making smoother sections.

that bike is sweet. It looked like in one picture the fork legs were turned around? I don't know about this chain theory that a friend told me. He said that by useing an oring chain that it developes a drag and in doing that it helps to smooth out the power? I think on a trials bike a good chian would be smoother and in turn make less drag making smoother sections.

I think the issue with O-Ring chains was that traditionally they were much bigger and heavier than the chains needed on a trials bike and definitely sucked out a fair amount of power. That extra mass is hard to spin up! The new O,D,Xring type chains are much smaller and lighter and why they are drawing more and more favorable feedback - especially for SSDT type riding. That said - I know guys who converted there 125's over to 420 chains to maximize snap. (punn intended... ? ) Like just about anything in trials - the real answer is - It depends!

Edited by laser17

At my skill level I have all of the snap that I need. ? Because I also do a lot of trail riding I installed a stiffer carb spring to make the throttle feel more like my trail bikes.

I ride in a lot of mud and water which is really hard on conventional chains so for me the switch to a light T ring chain provides a lot of maintenance and cost benefits. If a sponsor maintained my bikes then I'd go for the ERS chain.