Sign in to follow this  

Help with KDX fork swap

Got a set of forks for the right price (free) today. Told they are 1996 KX250. Not even close to my 92 KDX 250s clamps but fit perfect in the stock KX450 clamps I have. They are gold with 46mm lowers. That's all I really know about them.

I will rebuild the forks but is there a way to confirm the model so I can order the right parts?

take them to your local suspension guy or if that's not possible call a shop and ask them what they might need as far as measurements and type ex: KYB, Showa etc to identify them. post a pic here too and I bet someone can name it.

Here's a couple pics if it helps.

Also looking for axle, caliper etc to fit these if anyone has parts for sale.

th_2012-02-13181827.jpg?t=1329192523th_2012-02-13181803.jpg?t=1329192521th_2012-02-13181843.jpg?t=1329192521

fit perfect in the stock KX450 clamps I have.

Interesting........

The newer KYB twin chamber forks, ie KX450F, have fork tube diameters 54-59mm, same as 46mm KYB's from the 90's. Makes a fork swap pretty f@#^ing easy don't it? lol

the KYB's on my 05 KX250 are 56/59mm. Which are the same from 02+ but there are different offsets so use a complete clamp set if you swap.

Interesting........

The newer KYB twin chamber forks, ie KX450F, have fork tube diameters 54-59mm, same as 46mm KYB's from the 90's. Makes a fork swap pretty f@#^ing easy don't it? lol

the KYB's on my 05 KX250 are 56/59mm. Which are the same from 02+ but there are different offsets so use a complete clamp set if you swap.

hey jeenkinz, i measured my forks by the clamps. is this where you measure them or do you measure the chrome lower tube? i know my bike was a 94 kx250 originally but the suspension has been worked on. heres some pics.

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

are these correct for a 94 or for a newer model? all this kx/kdx swapping has me wondering now...lol

Edited by bansheedave

Look down on the axle lug. My 94 forks have " KX 94" cast into them on the inside near the bottom.

never mind my last post with pics :bonk: i didn't see this part of the post and my forks also have kx94 cast into them :smirk: my lower fork tubes measure out at 43 mm if anyone wants to know

Well, my forks also have a KX94 cast into them, but are suppossed to be off a 96 and have 46 mm lowers???

Edited by Kroynon

Well, my forks also have a KX94 cast into them, but are suppossed to be off a 96 and have 46 mm lowers???

did you mic them or use calipers to measure them? my lowers measured out with my calipers at 43 mm.

To me, this makes the kx94 stamp irrelevant.

I guess it does put the kabash on that theory, lol.

46mm KYB's with 54mm top clamp were only used 96, 97 and 98. In 99 the top clamp changed to 55mm. Not sure of EXACT changes to the internals from 96-98, you have to study the parts diagrams. Either way, they are 96-98 forks.

hey jeenkinz, i measured my forks by the clamps. is this where you measure them or do you measure the chrome lower tube?

Whenever you talk about forks, you generally use the crome tube diameter as a reference. Just swapping crap out you need to measure the clamp areas.

Length has a huge effect too. I don't know details, but KX forks are longer than KDX forks so you have to adjust. If you get those KX forks apart might want to consider limiting spacers to keep the geometry of the KDX chassis.

Edited by Jeekinz

It would be AWESOME to have a book listing the Kayaba and Showa specs for each model fork, and the years used. Just don't know where to get it... You can find anything on the internet, except that.

Length has a huge effect too. I don't know details, but KX forks are longer than KDX forks so you have to adjust. If you get those KX forks apart might want to consider limiting spacers to keep the geometry of the KDX chassis.

What works great for that is fatbar adapters. Protapers will then clear the elevated longer forks nicely, and, IMO, the slightly higher bar position is an improvement over stock for most people - it eliminates that cramped up feeling the KDX has compared to later model bikes. The bike I had before this one had shortened KX forks, and they just don't work as well as the full length units. Even elevated in the triples, my current forks get about 11.5 inches of full travel without the tire hitting the fender - they work really well - like they were factory made for the bike. :smirk: