Sign in to follow this  

12v Heavy Duty Battery and Inverter Set-up

Compelety dumb towards this topic. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Serves as my sleeper as well. Have it sut up the way I like pretty well except for one thing. The generator. It gets used but only for a powerwash, or a small fan, or a large fan. thats it. Used to be big into racing with a motorhome and my dad thought we would need a generator but if we can escape with just an inverter and large battery then id like to use the space and be more efficient. So, for dummies, how long would Ibe able to run a small fan, or a medium size fan or pressure washer without the battery dying? should i have any problem? I only go for a weekend at a time and would charge it back up when I got home. My father was under the impression it would not last long at all for just our small fan. Please let me know! we already have some electric ran to 2 lights and a small fan. Thanks!

Pressure washer would really suck down the juice, but fans and lights-they're a nominal draw (unless you're running a big 4' diameter barn fan).

Figure the pressure washer is about 15 amp or so?

You'd need something around a 2k inverter to power that pressure washer. 15 amps x 120 volts =1800 watts.

Now, even if you're using a large deep cycle such as an 8D (200 amp hours), you're only going to have about a half an hour of run time on that pressure washer before it drains the battery.

I'd convert the fans and lights to 12V units and go that route, would be much more efficient. Run the pressure washer on the genset, or get a gas engine pressure washer.

Thanks a lot! That really helps me make a decision. My main reasoning was not wanting to run the gen at midnight just for a fan and 2 lights if im up late doing something. If I did want to hook up an inverter are they easy to set up?

Thanks a lot! That really helps me make a decision. My main reasoning was not wanting to run the gen at midnight just for a fan and 2 lights if im up late doing something. If I did want to hook up an inverter are they easy to set up?

They're fairly simple to install, positive and negative battery cables (be sure to put an inline fuse on the positive side, as close to the battery as possible).You can run your appliances direct off the inverter, but if you're going to connect it to any wiring system, I strongly suggest installing a small breaker panel as close to the inverter as possible. Just in case something goes bad, it'll trip the breaker instead of burning the trailer to the ground.

They're fairly simple to install, positive and negative battery cables (be sure to put an inline fuse on the positive side, as close to the battery as possible).You can run your appliances direct off the inverter, but if you're going to connect it to any wiring system, I strongly suggest installing a small breaker panel as close to the inverter as possible. Just in case something goes bad, it'll trip the breaker instead of burning the trailer to the ground.

Thanks again!