Sign in to follow this  

200, 250 or 300 2 stroke

Hello,

So here it goes I need a new bike and would like some opinions. I ride an old 1980 Yamaha it175 and well its after a few races on it its time to take a huge step forward.

I ride the Canadian pacific coast which is much like Washington state steep tight slippery woods. I am C level rider at best and plan on riding 3 or 4 races a year one of which is a 24 hour. I have ridden a friends Kx 250 kitted for woods riding, Gnarly, 13oz flywheel, taller gearing and such. It was powerful but a bit much for me to handle on a 24 hr race. I'm 5'10" 175lbs more when kitted up. My options locally are Ktm, GasGas And husky when it comes to built for the woods machines and any jap bike as well.

So the question is

ktm xcw 200, 250 , 300

GasGas ec200, 250, 300

Husky wr124/144 250, 300

Or any modded Jap 250 smoker

Now i seem to be leaning towards the gasser just because pumpkins seem to be everywhere huskys are going for cheap new but the japs can be bought cheap and modded for woods use (ie YZ250).

So if anyone has opinions or experience on any or all of these machines any info would be great.

oh and keep in mind I want to keep this bike for a wile not upgrade in a year.

Cheers

Glen

Well, for cruising around Vedder, McNutt, Chipmunk, Nicklemine and such, I would tell you to lean towards a 200. Price will dictate everything though. Are you planning on buying new?

The 200 model is nice because its light, fast and can do just about anything whether it be play riding, harescrambles or the occasional moto. GasGas and KTM both make great bikes with my nod going to the GG because it is just a smidge more of a racer. The gassers are great bikes and GG Pacific is doing some great promotions and offer good support not only locally, but in the PN and OHSS series. It doesnt have electric start unlike the larger models but hey, its a 2t. The lighting capabilities are welcomed as night riding/racing seems to becoming more popular.

Im running a new KTM 250xc and they are great bikes also. They are quite tame and can either be made tamer or more aggressive. If you are looking into one or just want to try it out as a base. I extend a invitation to come up to Kamloops and ride mine for the day, I'll take one of my others out. The 250/300 are very simiular, the 300 produces a little more torque and the 250 likes to rev a little more but as for chassis feel and handling they are the same. Mine is setup for off-road and for racing in the PN/OHSS/CEC so it should feel something like what your looking for.

I have not ridden a GG 250 but have tried a 2010 GG 300. The torque on it was amazing. I felt the engine was stronger then my 09 KTM 300 but it did lack the electric starter. You can get the GG with electric start though and from what prices I got you're looking at spending less for the GG models over the KTM models.

The Huskies can be pretty hit or miss. The bikes in the 250/300 IMO are old world technology. Through the grapevine I hear the engines are super strong but handling lags a bit. I have never ridden a new model in the 250/300. I have ridden and owned a Husky. I borrowed a 2011 WR 150, power was flat out amazing, kinda lagging off the bottom but when it came alive it did it with authority. The bike felt equally as strong as my YZ 250 did. I was quite impressed. The suspension was too soft due to my weight and speed b ut it didnt do anything weird.

As for Yamaha, you cant go wrong. Everything about the bike is right down the middle. The engine is strong, chassis is predicatable and stable and suspension is above the rest. The resources are endless to make it into a tame mannered woods bike or a fire breathing dragon. There is also a ton of parts available for it. I raced a 08 in the PN/OHSS last year. A great bike, worked well but it is a bike that hasnt changed much. I wouldnt recommend a new one though as you can find some used ones in great shape.

Hopes this helps

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf
  • Like 1

Wow so many choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................................Maybe take a few friends bikes for a spin then make up your mind?

I have a friend who is trying to decide between a yz 250 and a 450 4 stroke so he is testing out my yz this week end to see if itll live up to what he wants,

For me yes it does but maybe for him it wont so a test run of 2 to 3 hrs will make his mind up .

I love the yz and am deeply saddened in aust i cant get a regoed version so i have another bike to take care of this and its a 300 exc which is a bit heavier but great for hill climbs and giving those 450's a hard time (yz does as well) they just cant shake you off and i love that ..........

sand dunes are the 450's territory IMHO , The 200's or 250's 2 smokers keep up but not as well as the 300.

woods being tight i love the yz,so i would say a 200exc would sort it as well because weight wise very similar.

The finger touch braking system and clutch is a total winner on the ktm ,but the response from the motor of the yz rocks ,its so responsive i love it.

good luck with you decision

regards dazza

The reason that "pumpkins" are everywhere is because they are great off road bikes...KTM owns the 2 stroke off road market. Sometimes, I think people buy the wrong bike trying to be different. I think a 250 or 300 XC would work very well for your technical terrain. With that being said, Gas Gas makes a really nice race ready 2t...and generally cheaper than the KTM.

Thanks for the replying the info is really helpfull.

I appreciate the invite up too kamloops I live in chilliwack so it's not to much of a drive. The only issue at the moment is I am waiting for shoulder surgery after a nasty motorcycle spill last year so it may not happen for a wile. A chance on the KTM250 would be a good base .

I'll be helping in the pits for my buddy at the monkeywrench, zofkfa ridge and might make an apperance at the 24 hour at nickelmine. So if your around at any of these events I'd like to shake your hand And have a chat.

The only worry I have on the 200 is after I get used to it will I be wanting more grunt ? If I buy new I want a bike I can keep for a wile , I'm cheap like that . I'm still leaning the GG way as well it's just hard to find a bike to test , parking lots just don't cut it and I can read as many reviews as I want but its the seat of the pants feeling that matters .

Thanks again

Just a bit more input for you. I have owned a YZ250 and now am on a GasGas 300. I have spent alot of time on KTM 200's and 300's as well. Im a fast B level offroad racer. But i ride with mostly A/Pro offroad riders. I can honestly say that I prefer the GasGas 300 over the KTM 300. For some reason it just handles alot better for me. Also liked the GG motor, it felt more aggressive (more like my YZ250 but with a monster bottom end), the KTM motor felt too flat, lots of bottom but kinda boring otherwise. However I really like the KTM 200's while having less power than the KTM 300 they like to be ridden more aggressively, and can be tossed around much easier, much more comparable to my GasGas than the 300 was. My riding buddy (A class racer) just went from a YZ250 to a KTM200. ALL both of us can say is that we will never seriously ride a converted YZ (or other converted Jap MXer) ever again. While they are decent when set up correctly they just dont compare with the GasGas or KTM quality or performance wise. I highly recommend GasGas but cant hate on the KTM's...really like the 200 but the 300 didnt feel right for me, but im sure changes could be made to improve it. As far as Husky, they seam to be a bit dated, i cant give any personal experience but from all I've read, KTM or GasGas are right up there with each other, while husky needs to make up some ground.

Edited by CDBiker220

An A level racer on a 200 wow I would have thought a 250 or 300, dirt rider had a test On the new KTM 200 looks like a great play bike. I like to rip it as much as the next guy but find myself riding on the pilot jet allot chugging through. The more linier the power the better.

Has your bud felt he needs more power on the 200 ?

I wonder how the gasser 200 compares

If your thinking new check out the gasgas Cervantes 250.sticker prices is very reasonable and it has the best of the best for parts.imo the 250 gives you the best of both worlds,great bottom end of the 300 and a revvy powerband of the 200

If you like to chug, you should really ride a 300. I have a 300 XC and I have plenty of power everywhere..I can chug or I can rip...its all in the 1) tuning (jetting, power valve) 2) mods..there are endless mods for these bikes.

Yea actually my A class buddy on the KTM 200 is looking into getting a 250. The 200 is awesome since he can ride it wide open alot and not get too tired. But he wants a 250 really just for extra power for hills and such. He loves my GasGas 300 but with his riding style its just too much power(wide open or on the brakes), it would tire him out. Since I ride in the midrange most of the time only using the top end to blast out of a corner occasionally or for hills, it fits me perfect (and the 300 easily keeps up with him on the 200 even when he's wide open and I just flow in the midrange). I might stay on 300 2 strokes forever after owning this bike.

I just talked to a local guy who has a 2011 gasser ec250 sixdays. He's an A level guy and said he needs more torque so he switched the piston jug and head to the stock 300. If I want to keep the bike for a wile and get used to the power that is a great option, not needing to buy a whole new bike. I need to test ride a few . Too bad bike dealers don't have mountains behind their shops so we could test them out.