Sign in to follow this  

intake upgrades

well i have stock intake on my 09.

but ti4r exhaust i know u need to suck the air in to blow it out which alot of people forget so what are some intake mods i can make to help the power and what will they do exactly?

been looking at the moto tassanri,screen delete, carb mods?

It is possible to remove your screen without buying the Pro Circuit kit, but the kit is nice and pretty cheap because you get a new gasket as well as a nice green aluminum flange for the outside of the airbox to hold the assy together. It can be done just by carefully removing the screen and re-using one of your gaskets if it does not get torn up in the pulling apart phase. It can be stuck together pretty wicked so it takes some force and some light prying to get it started. Once you get it separated at one spot, the whole thing comes apart pretty easily. Be careful not to bend your stock outer flange or the filder holder if you are re-using them.

This done, you will have easier access to cleaning the air boot but not much to notice in power or snap or throttle response or anything. But it is a nice setup if only for the ease of cleaning that area.

Second, consider a Loudmouth intake setup. They are about $150 and come with a DT1 or Twin Air Filter and they get rid of the screen and make for an obstruction free path for the intake air. This will perk up your response and add some power. They have an article on their site that says it added more power to a YZ250F than a full exhaust system did. And the filters are easier to get on and off and to clean. They fit all of the big bike systems for any brand too so you can switch bikes and keep the filters you have if you get a Loudmouth for that bike.

Then the Air4orce from MT is a good choice, but fairly pricey. It is like $250 I think for a low price online and new. It will give you some tunability in the power with the 2 different velocity stacks. It adds a horsepower on average and is not a bad mod.

Third, you should consider having yout 37mm carb taper-bored. I think it is a 37mm. If I am wrong then nevermind. A 39mm carb is a better setup on the KX250F. JEtting changes would be needed also. Dick Wilk at Dicks Racing can bore your carb and add an intellijet system that sends fuel and air misture into the carb throat on demand for a really nice boost in acceleration and power. It is highly rated, but also quite expensive for the whole deal it is like $500 or more I think.

Those are the major intake upgrades I can think of.

We have an 05 that when we got it last year, it already had the PC screen delete kit installed. I then found a TwinFilter "Power Flow" kit on ebay for 1/4 retail cost. This upgrade really made a difference in this bike. The head was already ported, but with this kit, the boy says he can carry a gear for another couple seconds enabling some extra passing opportunities. If you can find one on ebay, it's worth the $75.