Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki TS185 - reliving the old days !

Posted this wrongly elsewhere on TT, sorry for the double up.

Well I am on the wrong side of 50 and a dirtmany years ago on Suzuki TS185's, and lots of them. Friend used to hire them out of his then went o to be one of the biggest Suzuki/KTM dealers in out state. Loved them 185's bullet proof and went for ever. Lot of miles passed under my butt since then, riding all sorts of beasts. The list is too long to recall here. But the last few years have seen me thrashing the bejesus out KTM530EXC, Husaberg FE570, Honda CRF450X, DRz400, Husqvarna TE450 and 510.

Injuries over the years have caught up with me and last year had operation number 8 on my knee's and had a plate put in the right, with instructions "No more riding" (what do doctors know eh?)

Anyway, ziz just can't bear the thought of NO MORE, so I figure I would just scale back and be the sweep for the next generation of trail Whilst recovering from the op all sorts of options ran through my head. Lighter 2 strokes, 250 4 strokes ECT...... but NOT giving up !

Anyway, as luck would have it I managed to pick up an old 1990 Suzuki TS(ER) 185 in micky mouse condition ! Only 11,000 kms (7000 miles) all original. All the blinkers, lights and carrier racks, EVERYTHING, all there and in amazing nick. One owner by an old geezeer as a daily commute bike to These things are starting to fetch good $$$ now as they are becoming older and more collectable.

Hopped on her today and did a short squirt to get the feel again. 171 kms later I hopped of with a grin from ear to ear. I had forgotten how much fun they were way back then, still fun now. Starts first kick every time, goes like the clappers and is going to keep me very happy.

Had forgotten that there is no engine braking on the first corner, and a quick fistful of brakes seen me pull up in the nick of time. Then there is the fact that you have to rev a 2 banger to get her going, soon adjusted to that.

Now I am just scooting all over the place and enjoying bikes once more and the lightness that this bike brings is going to be kind to my knee. So I have done the full circle TS185 through the whole range of bikes back to a TS185 all over again.

4-2.gif

3-2.gif

2-2.gif

1-3.gif

Love this bike !!

Edited by eyspy

Wow, I'm honestly impressed! Looks like it was well care'd for and should be an awesome runabout. Too bad this model never made it into the US.

My first bike was a 1972 TS185. Back then in Kalifornia you could drive at 15 1/2 if you were on a motorcycle. I bought it brand new and paid for it delivering newspapers until the Daily Press started getting complaints about me driving on the sidewalks! &%$#@!!

I'm just getting back into thumpers. I am really into GS500's. I saw this one and he is sweet. I pick him up tomorrow. 1973 with 3400 miles. All original. A collector had it for the past 19 years and put only 200 miles in it.

I'm beginning my search for the OEM rear carrier. I haven't had any luck yet. Anyone have one for sale?

There is a certain charm to rthese little guys.

417418_298625966870025_100001678714375_767068_110946561_n.jpg

Adidasguy, thats what I've got. Can't wait to start doing a resto. GREAT looking TS. :bonk:

I'm just getting back into thumpers. I am really into GS500's. I saw this one and he is sweet. I pick him up tomorrow. 1973 with 3400 miles. All original. A collector had it for the past 19 years and put only 200 miles in it.

I'm beginning my search for the OEM rear carrier. I haven't had any luck yet. Anyone have one for sale?

My Dad had that model when my brother and I were learning to ride in the wayback days. That 185 endured some incredible abuse!!! Did you know it can pull a wheelie in fifth gear? I thought that 'cause it was pop's bike, it could do anything, flattrack, moto, trials, and some SCARY top gear, up hill step-up jumps.

Maybe he still has it, I should get it and fix it up just to restore my guilty conscience!

I always liked the blue ts series here stateside, and Im shocked to see the same bike from 1981 still available as it was in 1981, many years later. How much is it now?

Adidasguy, thats what I've got. Can't wait to start doing a resto. GREAT looking TS. :bonk:

Thanks!

Let me now if you run across any rear carriers. I really want one for it.

A friend is giving me a 1973 parts bike. Says it runs find. Let me know if you need parts.

My brother had that exact same TS185, but I think that is a 1972. My dad bought me a mint 71 ts185 and the 72 for my brother for christmas. That started it all, great bikes that took a beating and kept on going.

Edited by 2strokenut

THUMPER (what I named him) came home today after getting new tires, all fluids changed and the carrier installed.

One thing - where in thwe world do I get a headlight? The low beam is out. is there an aftermarket headlight I can use or does anyone have a headlight?

here he is picking him up today:

thumper_on_way_home.jpg

and here he is at home in my Bike Cave.

thumper_comes_home.jpg

I think all my GS500's will get along with this old thumper.

Edited by adidasguy

Hey guys, I know you're not supposed to reopen a dead thread… especially a 2 year old thread, but I'm looking at trading my 2000 KTM 300EXC for a '75 TS185 and can't find any info on the 185s.  This one has 10,000 miles on it and my KTM is worth about 1800.  Is the trade worth it?  I don't have a title for the KTM because Texas doesn't require titles, but it is also a pain to sell the bike and I am moving to Idaho where they do require titles.  Any info on the bike as far as power, quality of build, and if its just worth it to buy would be appreciated.  Again sorry about reopening the thread just got no other place to go because this comparison of bikes is so abnormal.

Edited by adamweiss

My brother had that exact same TS185, but I think that is a 1972. My dad bought me a mint 71 ts185 and the 72 for my brother for christmas. That started it all, great bikes that took a beating and kept on going.

It's a "72". Here's my old one from High School.

TS185.jpg