Sign in to follow this  

Coloring rims

While I wait on engine parts, I was planning on having the frame powder-coated. I also want to get the rims colored black, but what is the best way to do it?

I know some guys say powder-coating will hold up fine on rims while others say it's crap. I'm guessing it's all in the prep work.

Generally I see people say that anodizing is better, but what kind of anodizing? The local anodizing place happens to be one of the best in the country, but they don't do type 3 hard coat. I would think type 3 HC would be the best, the stuff is pretty tough on rifles and stuff... but then again, it only comes in black and I see rims ano'd in a lot of other colors. While I'd be going for black anyway, in my experience regular anodizing doesn't hold up well to scratches at all. But if it holds up well enough, finding a place to do the hard coat won't be required.

Should I just bring them to the place to get powder-coated with my frame? Or should I take them to the local shop for regular anodizing? OR should I find a place that will do type 3?

Thanks!

If the prep work is done correctly, powdercoat will hold up as well as anodize, so it's really your call. Powdercoat would be the cheaper rout.

As for anodizing, rims are always type II anodized. Type III would hold up a lot better, but it doesn't have quite the same luster as type II and I have never seen anyone do it on mx rims.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of parts on my bike powder coated, including the rims. Front rim still looks great after 2 seasons of riding. The rear, on the other hand, is chipped up pretty bad. Looks like crap. I think for the rims, anodizing would probably hold up better.

If the prep work is done correctly, powdercoat will hold up as well as anodize, so it's really your call. Powdercoat would be the cheaper rout.

As for anodizing, rims are always type II anodized. Type III would hold up a lot better, but it doesn't have quite the same luster as type II and I have never seen anyone do it on mx rims.

That's interesting. I'm going for a matte black look, but maybe the hard coat would be too rough and hold dirt? Found a place that does powder coat and both kinds of anodizing pretty close to here so I'll probably take it to them and see what they have to say.